CHAPTER 13 - OPERATION: HOSPITAL VISIT

Max asked Lizzie more about her dad to help pass the time while they waited on her steps for her mom to come home. "He was really smart and funny," she smiled, remembering. "He could always make me laugh, even when I was totally depressed about something. My mom always said he could read the phone book and make it funny." She smiled bigger.

"I like hearing about your dad like this," Max said. "You seem a lot happier when you talk about the good stuff."

Lizzie looked at her feet, but kept her smile. "Yeah, there's a lot of happy stuff to remember about him. And even though he knew how to be silly, he was super smart. He taught Physics at Oberlin College. That's why we moved to Amherst in the first place. Mom and Dad said it was a really great opportunity."

"When did you move here?" Max truly couldn't remember. He lived in Amherst his whole life, and never really paid attention to Lizzie before – not until his friends started teasing her, anyway. She just wasn't a girl that stood out in any way.

"I guess I shouldn't expect you to remember I've lived here since Kindergarten, Max!" She laughed. "I mean, even though we've been in the same class together every single year!"

"Jeez, stop giving me such a hard time!"

"I can't help it, Max. You make it too easy." She folded her arms, still smiling. "I mean, why is it that all that time you never noticed me and suddenly in the past couple years you and your friends started singling me out to tease?"

"Well, Liz, I don't feel bad telling you a secret I've been keeping for my so-called friends. Eric found out Dwayne had a little crush on you. That's why we started picking on you a little bit."

Lizzie jumped in her seat. "What?!"

"Haha – Yeah! I think he's into this other girl now -- Emily the cheerleader. But we sure had fun with him about that! Dwayne and Dizzie sittin' in a tree..." Max turned to see that Lizzie was no longer smiling.

"So that was fun, huh?" Lizzie frowned. "Teasing your friend for thinking I was someone special?"

Max grew silent, looking down at the cracked concrete steps by his feet. Why do girls always seem to ruin a good time?

He was relieved to finally hear the sound of an engine approaching. Lizzie's mom pulled into the driveway. "Did you lose your key again, sweetie?" Her mom asked as she exited the car and pulled a colorful purse over her shoulder.

"No, Mom," Lizzie rose from the steps. "I just thought I'd sit outside and wait for a change. It's nice enough out here."

Mom raised an eyebrow and closed the car door. "Okay, good. Any homework tonight?" Lizzie got down from the steps to give her mom space to unlock the front door. "I thought I'd heat up some leftover lasagna for us. Does that sound good?"

Max followed them inside while Lizzie went through routine conversation with her mother. He nudged Lizzie in the side as she kicked off her shoes. "Hey, Liz – You're still helping me out, right?"

Lizzie gave him the fiftieth eye roll of the day and held her hand up to shush him. She nodded to let him know the deal was still on.

"Mom, after dinner can we please go to the hospital? I need to visit someone there."

Her mom was in the kitchen already, preparing to nuke the leftover lasagna. Stunned at the request, she nearly dropped the plate. "What? Who's in the hospital?" She stared at her, concerned.

Lizzie searched for the right words. "Remember that boy I told you about who died recently? His sister was in the same accident, and she's in the hospital now. I just wanted to go say hello."

Lizzie's mother was speechless. Lizzie was such an introvert, she never wanted to go anywhere or see anyone. "I thought you told me you weren't friends with that boy who passed away."

"I'm not... I mean I wasn't..." Lizzie stammered.

"Elizabeth, what's going on?" Her mother leaned forward, against the counter. "Something is going on with you. Ever since you mentioned that boy yesterday afternoon, you've been acting very strangely. First you were crying. Then last night I heard you talking – practically yelling – in your sleep. This morning you hardly spoke a word to me and rushed out of the house, and now you're asking to go to the hospital to visit someone you barely know." She crossed her arms. "I need you to tell me what's going on. I'm very worried about you."

Lizzie went to the counter and plopped onto one of the bar stools. "Mom, I... I just need to go. I thought... I just think the family could use some support, you know? There was an announcement at school about the accident today, and I just feel really sad for the family, you know?"

Her mom smiled solemnly and came over to sit on the stool next to Lizzie. "Oh, sweetheart, I think it's wonderful for you to want to give moral support to that family. But sweetie, you've been through so much already... with Dad. I don't know if it's a good idea to put yourself in that situation."

Lizzie wasn't giving up. "That family needs someone who understands what they're going through, Mom."

Her mother sat up straight and smiled, tears forming in her eyes. "Oh, honey, I am so proud of you." She shook her head with closed eyes. "You're so much stronger than I am." She clapped her hands, and Lizzie almost jumped. "Okay, let's do it! The lasagna can wait. I'll take you straight to the hospital and we'll visit together!"

"Oh, um," Lizzie stammered, "okay!"

Lizzie watched her mother shove the leftovers back in the fridge and followed her back to the car. Max beamed with excitement and accompanied Lizzie in the back seat. As they backed out of the driveway, Mother announced: "Here we go! Operation: Hospital Visit!"

Max leaned over to Lizzie. "Your mom is kinda fun, Liz!"

"You have no idea," She smiled back at him.