CHAPTER 19 - DEMON-FIGHTING 101

Max was still not used to the fact that sleep wasn't something he needed anymore. As he watched Lizzie fall asleep, he realized he hadn't experienced sleep for a couple days now. "Will I ever need to sleep again?" Max whispered to Bob, trying not to disturb Lizzie.

Bob knew he didn't need to whisper, but instinctively kept his voice soft as he answered. "It's ironic, actually. People always talk about death as a long-lasting sleep... but it's the exact opposite. The only reason live people need to sleep is because their bodies get tired. Sleep and rest help the body to re-energize. But us – Ha! – There's no need for us to sleep." He looked at Max. "But you and I have different ways of charging our batteries. All I have to do to recharge is return to my own dimension where I'm surrounded by all the positive energy I need. Unfortunately, kid, you've got it a little harder, here in the In-Between."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you've met those negative spirits over at the school. They've learned how to suck the life out of the living. That's the easy way of getting energy in your dimension. Those guys are like energy vampires, basically. I need to make sure you don't take that same route. There's a better way for you to get energy without hurting living people. I suppose that brings us to the first lesson, because you'll need as much energy as possible when the spooks come after Lizzie tonight."

"Okay, I'm ready," Max said.

"Now bear with me, kid, and don't roll your eyes when I tell you this, because it'll sound a bit hokey."

"All right."

"Remember our lesson on moving from place to place by simply visualizing and connecting with the energy of a person, right?"

"Yeah, I remember. All I had to do was close my eyes and think hard about Lizzie, and I was able to actually see her, and then I saw where she was standing. Before I knew it, I was actually there with her, in her kitchen! That was totally amazing."

"Well, this is kind of the same thing. But in this case, to recharge you need to connect with the same dimension that Bertha comes from."

"Why not your dimension? Why do I need to get energy from her dimension? You said you get plenty of energy where you come from, right?"

"Yeah, but you need a more powerful energy source since you can't recharge as often or as easily as I can. All I need to do is go home. You may as well get your battery charged from the highest dimension."

"Bertha's from the highest dimension? Wow. Is she super important or something?"

Bob grinned. "You do realize 'Bertha' is just the name she let you call her, right? She's not letting you see her true identity, is she?"

"Yeah, I guess she did tell me she didn't want me to know who she really is yet." Max thought about it for the first time. "I wonder why. She does seem pretty special. She made a Coca-Cola appear out of thin air, and I was actually able to sip and taste it." Max paused in thought for a moment. "How is that even possible, anyway?"

"Well, apparently old Bertha has been performing miracles forever. Even before she kicked the bucket. That's as much as I'll tell you about it, though. I get the feeling you're on a 'need-to-know' basis where Bertha's true identity is concerned. Enough gossiping. Let's get back to business. Now, whenever you need to recharge, you think about Bertha. Close your eyes if you have to..." Bob looked at Max, expectantly.

"What?" Max leaned forward. "Now?"

"No, next winter, kid," Bob shook his head slowly. "Yeah, now!"

Max shook his own head in frustration. He didn't know how much longer he could take Bob's sarcasm. "Okay, fine."

"Eventually you'll be able to do this without closing your eyes, but since you're still used to having a body, this way will be easer for you. Okay, now imagine Bertha. See her as clearly as you can, until you can actually see her surrounded by a bright light."