four

We are nothing if not liars and cowards.

It's already dawn when Jaebum stopped the car outside of a convenience store somewhere in the outskirt. He patted an asleep Jennie on the shoulder to wake her up and lead her inside. There's nobody in sight and everything is quiet around the store as the people is mostly still deep in slumber. The worker sitting behind the counter ignored them and doesn't even bother to bat an eyelash at the cut on her forehead and Jaebum's bloody shirt as he half-carry Jennie to sit on a bench.

She hissed loudly when Jaebum tried to clean the wound with some alcohol and grabbed his hand to stop him. All the traces of sleep is already gone and she is now wide awake from the pain.

"That hurts."

Jaebum frowned but kept silent. He haven't said anything else since they started their journey. After a while, he put away the cotton pad and proceeded with the band aid. When he is finished, Jennie deliberately sneaked her hands around his lean waist and buried her face into his chest, breathing steady and calm.

But Jaebum stiffened up immediately.

"Don't do this." He said and for a moment, Jennie is afraid that she'll be pushed away. He let out a soft sigh. "My shirt is dirty."

"Are you still angry at me?" She tightened his hold around him. "I'm sorry, I don't understand what did I do wrong, but I'm sorry. Please don't be angry anymore."

Her voice is so soft and small that it caused something in him to ache forlornly. Jaebum mind is whirling with emotions that he can't control when it comes to her. The silence is growing thicker as he contemplated on what he wants to say. He knows Jennie is afraid of him leaving her behind, she made that clear from her actions. But who could blame her on that? Her family is ruined by power, and she has targets on her back because of her father. He is the only she could trust after all that had happened. It took her years to put that trust in him and now, what is he supposed to do?

There's so much you don't know about me, Jennie. I don't deserve your apology. I never did. And I don't think I ever would.

Jennie noticed the flicker of something under those layers of mask before he schooled his expression back to his normal stoic face.

"You must promise me something." Jaebum removed her hands gently and crouch down at her level. His unwavering gaze bored deep into her with unspoken seriousness.

"Promise you what?"

"In the future, if you're facing the same situation as before, and when it comes down to choose whether to run away or wait for me, you must always run, Jennie. Because I wouldn't always be able to be there for you. Sometimes I might be too late, sometimes I just can't."

Realisation seems to dawn upon her and although it went against her will, Jennie forced herself to nod nonetheless. By doing this, she's acknowledging her acceptance to the fact that she doesn't really has anyone forever now.

Not even Jaebum. She's all alone.

And when Jennie closed her eyes and braced herself from breaking apart, Jaebum's whole body felt like splintering away too. He just can't abandon her in a cage full of cold-blooded killers. It's like he had forgotton his sole purpose of revenge and turn himself into her bodyguard that he's supposed to be from the start.

Maybe he's always been one. Her protecter, her guardian, but in reality, he's not all that at all.

He is the real danger. He is her enemy.

p/s forgive me for the late and short update. i started working (for the first time!) and have been a bit busy. something interesting gonna happen soon so stay tune.

so seulbum next? or should i continue with this jenbum tension?