five

"Can you trace him for me? I need an update on his whereabout every three days." Seulgi threw a curious glance at the man in front of her. He doesn't wear a uniform like any of her team members because he is certainly isn't one of them.

For this matter, she needs some help outside Scorpio. Jaebum's identity must be kept a secret. Scorpio must never find out that there's survivor of the attack in Goyang few years back or else th

ey would do anything to get rid of him again. And that's the last thing she wanted out of this.

After glancing around the poorly illuminated building, her eyes settled on the ticking watch at her hand. There's only 15 minutes left to spare before the others will start to notice her absence.

The middle aged man just shrugged and walked towards his row of computers and plopped down. The basement is much bigger than any other basement. It's like there's a whole building underground to fit in all the devices that could be accessed from the mainframe processor.

"I can't. But this thing," he tapped one of the computer proudly "can likely detect anybody from anywhere on the surface of earth. Well, at least if they're still alive that is."

"He's a Stinger once. Grew up in Scorpio for five years. That would make things easier huh?"

"Oh yeah. I could hack into the tracker. He was implanted with it, right?"

"The tracker was deactivated. But I do know his code though, it's 4299."

"Umm... interesting. What happened exactly to cause that? He must have been severely injured or at least on the brink of death to trigger that though. Did Scorpio--"

"Don't." Seulgi gritted her teeth and glared scaldingly, the dagger that was tucked inside her boot was suddenly at the man's throat. "Just shut up and do as you're told."

"O-Okay...okay. Please let go of me first."

***

After stuffing their stomach with the convenience store ramyun and a few cup of coffee, the two of them settled back into the car. Jennie opened the car window and let the fresh morning breeze caress her face.

It smells like rain and good memories and she just wants to breath it in, fill her lungs with everything and never breath out.

" Where are we going after this?"

"You are returning home. I don't think you should travel in this condition."

"What? But I am perfectly fine. This small cut is nothing I couldn't handle. We should--"

"No." Jaebum's voice sounds like finality. He rubbed his face roughly and pinched his forehead as if a headache is bugging him. "That's not what I mean."

Jaebum looks tired and there's shadow underneath his eyes caused by lack of sleep. Jennie bit back her words. She doesn't want to burden him more with her argument. Still focusing on his driving, Jaebum let out a sigh and eased the tension from his shoulder with a slight stretching. When he spoke again, he tried to be more gentle and understanding.

"Do you even know why I ask you to pack your things last night? It was your father's order. He gave you a ticket to Tokyo and told me to take you there. You know what that means right?"

Jennie's face flushed with suppressed anger at the mention of her father. The old man had took so much from her and there's times when she wished so badly she could trade him to get her mom back. Blood that flows in her veins may belongs to him, but he will never be a family to her. Even if she still could stand to act like one around the others.

"I don't care about what he wants. He lost his right as my father long time ago. He should've stopped caring by now. I don't understand what is his gain from this careless gesture."

"He wants you safe, Jennie. That's all."

"Why are you sending me back to Seoul then?"

"Because you were attacked last night. Someone found out about your departure and tried to kidnap you when you're vulnerable. I don't think going abroad would ensure your safety anymore than in your own home. We need to use the advantage of familiar ground this time."

***

All the workers scrambled to welcome them at the front gate. Jennie dismissed them and dragged herself to her chamber. She is desperate for a warm and soothing bath. But before she could slam her door shut, she caught the sight of Jaebum talking with two of his subordinates before he turned back and disappeared into the dim corridor. Always a silent shadow even in broad daylight.

Then she heard some giggles from the maid who was wiping the windows and noticed them stealing glances into the place where Jaebum had gone.

It was always like that. The maid eyes will always found him first rather than Jennie, almost under every circumstances, as if they can't take their eyes off him -dazzled by his mysterious handsomeness. Even when he blended in among other bodyguards in the background, Jaebum is always noticed. People often mistook him as the young master of the Kim household because he was always nearby Jennie. Not many people had known him for what he really is, a kind and caring soul in his own ways. The subtle but genuine one.

Jennie smiled to herself unknowingly.

After finished showering, Jennie sit at the foot of her bed, staring at the photos on her walls. She couldn't remember the last time she took a family photo. Maybe it was when her hobby still used to be photography.

"Do you need something, miss?"

She was too preoccupied that she didn't notice one of her trusted servant had entered the room.

"Miss?" "Do you need something? Breakfast maybe? Or tea?"

"I'm good. But...Mei?"

"Yes?"

"How do you... say something without being understood?"

The servant look baffled with her absurd question. Jennie cleared her throat, her embarrassment is showing on her cheek.

"Ah... young miss. What's been on your mind lately? It doesn't seem like something I would understand."

Jennie fell silent for a moment before answering,

"Me too, Mei. Me too."

ahhh there'll be some progress with our favourite ship in the next chap. though i couldn't say which one. ><

leave your thoughts or suggestions! :)