Chapter 1

"Do you ever notice them looking at you in a funny way?"

Featherkit was jerked from her thoughts as her sister, Nightkit, asked the question. She turned towards her, and then saw the medicine cats staring at her. Peachfur was especially looking at her weirdly. Then, she turned towards Flamedawn and whispered something to him.

"Well yes. Especially Peachfur. And they whisper about me. It's weird," Featherkit mumbled, glancing at her sister with nervous eyes. 

"They probably think you're like... special or something," Nightkit purred, her amber eyes shining with amusement. 

Mudkit padded up to them, his jaws gaping wide in a yawn. He blinked sleepily at his two sisters. 

"Well look who's up for  their long nap!" Nightkit mewed, purring. She gave her brother a teasing look, but Featherkit couldn't join in with her amusement. Her thoughts were fixed on something else.

"Nightkit, Mudkit? Do you ever wonder who our father is?" She asked, shifting her paws.

"I don't have to wonder. Moonshine never wants to admit, so I don't prod into her business," Mudkit mewed, curling his tail over his paws.

"Well I wonder," Featherkit mumbled. "Isn't it strange how she acts secretive about who the father is? And isn't it strange how the medicine cats stare at us?" She asked, glancing at her siblings.

"Well they don't stare at us," Nightkit mewed. Her gaze rested on Featherkit. "They stare at you."

Featherkit realized that her sister was right. "I'm going to speak with mother," she mewed. She padded past her siblings and saw her mother, who was speaking with Whitewing, another queen in the nursery whose kits would be born any day now. 

"Moonshine!" Featherkit squeaked, racing up to her mother. She pounced at her mother, landing on her back.

"Oh, Featherkit! What is this all about?" Moonshine asked, glancing at her daughter.

"I just wanted to ask.... who is our father?" Featherkit asked, blinking at her. She waited for her mother to respond.

Moonshine's eyes rounded, and she avoided her daughter's gaze. Her eyes clouded. "I-I can't say," she mumbled, looking guilty.

"Why? Is it that secretive?" Featherkit asked, feeling slightly unimportant. My own mother won't even tell me! 

"Yes, it apparently is. Featherkit, just go play with your siblings," Whitewing meowed, glancing at her. 

Featherkit reluctantly turned around and headed back to her siblings. All I want to do is find my father...

Mudkit lifted his head at his sister's approach. "Featherkit? Did she say anything?" He asked.

"No, she said she can't say who it is," Featherkit sighed. She sat beside her brother. "Where did Nightkit go?" She asked.

"She went to the elders. She was bored and wanted to hear a story," Mudkit meowed, laying his head on his paws.

Featherkit thought for a moment, then glanced at her brother. "Hey, do you want to sneak out of camp?" She asked. 

"No! We'll get in big trouble!" Mudkit mewed, glancing at her.

"But isn't it bored in camp? There's no other kits to play with, and the games we play get boring," Featherkit sighed, curling her tail around her paws. 

Mudkit sighed. "Uh, well, ok. Maybe tonight," he meowed, curling up.

Featherkit then lay down and curled up beside her brother, her eyes closing. Darkness swept over her vision and she finally fell asleep.