XLVII. Preparations

My body was still feeling the aftermath of sex after a long time dedicated to abstinence. I ran to the room, grabbing the easiest thing I could put on along with a long jacket. I looked at the window as I struggled to slip on some flimsy white slippers.

Deducing that this was the first floor, jumping out wouldn't be much. I slammed the window open and stepped on the windowsill taking the impulsion to hop outside. I wouldn't bother with the probably insanely confused Illumi that I had left behind and trusted that all the other assassins were still sitting at the lunch table.

My feet landed on the uneven stone path, my soles ached for a second but I was glad I hadn't broken any bones. I didn't care where the path took me, I could see the butlers housing further down the hill and if I followed it I'd be on the right path to the testing gates soon enough. Feeling sticky and still wet from the many things that happened instead of a relaxing bath, I just ran as quickly as possible. The slippers would have to go as soon as I was far enough, the pebbles sunk into the thin material... I wondered if it wouldn't be better to just go barefoot, I was already feeling every unevenness and sharp edge of the way.

Where could I go?

How could I be safe?

What did I just do?

I slammed three doors of the gate open and followed the road the tour bus usually took to reach the gates. Where was I going?

Feitan? He didn't like me that much... Chrollo? Was he going to be mad that I ran away from him at Chiaroscuro? Where else could I go?

How would I even find him? I knew the phantom troupe was "inside" a game called Greed Island looking for a way to undo what Kurapika, the blond-haired beautiful boy, did to lock Chrollo's nen.

Now I had a choice to make, search for Chrollo or find a way into Greed Island, hang out with the spiders and eventually find their boss... A bit afraid of what would happen if I met the so great Danchou of the Phantom Troupe and worried that I may not find him since he was probably travelling alone, I decided that when I reached the city, I'd do some research on the game.

It took me a few hours of running and walking when my legs started burning and whining for a stop, but I reached the city where the bus tours started. The first order of business was looking around for some internet access but since most of these people lived off the fame of the Zoldycks, the great family of assassins, that turned to be unsuccessful. Food was also not one of the city's specialties, so my mood only worsened. Apparently having a library with access to the internet was too much for this town. I rolled my eyes and decided to buy myself a ticket to a random place, I had to make sure Illumi wouldn't track me.

He also had that one job that I totally skipped by running away... So his search, if it ever came to be, would be delayed... All I had to make sure was that I didn't go anywhere near the mission site. Things would work out... right?

He and his sexual frustration would be scary to face, so I'd better not even cross his path in the next months... maybe years... At least long enough for him to forget the details. Who knows maybe I'd get lucky and never meet the long-haired man again! Though that seemed extremely unlikely, my bad luck started with my dumb actions back at home that one night and I couldn't seem to shake it off...

I withdrew as much as the ATM allowed me and bought myself a ticket.

"It'll depart at 18 o'clock today." The old lady behind the counter warned, her eyes still shining with distrust after I paid in cash. I had an hour or so to buy some new clothes, a nice travel backpack to store all the things I had shoved into the pockets of the jacket in the run. A room in a shabby hotel was all I needed. I wouldn't stay the night, but I had to at least shower.

Now wearing a light f/c t-shirt, some black pants and black sneakers, I left the hotel carrying my lovely backpack. There wasn't much to see, so I just patiently waited at the airport, nibbling on a very expensive but not remotely close to delicious sandwich.

After some days of traveling around random places, I searched for Greed Island in the random towns I stopped by. Apparently, it was a pricey game, costing more than 8 billion Jenny in auction. I had the money to buy it but the auctions were over and... Collectors aren't fond of sharing... I ended up in front of Heaven's Arena. It would be nice to make some money and use it so no one could track me. How was I going to get the game? If I remembered correctly, the phantom troupe stole it, Killua entered by asking some rich dude who bought the game. Now which of those would be better?

I quickly reached the top floors of the Arena, gaining myself a room on the top, the view wasn't as great as it was from Kukuro Mountain but just the fact that I wasn't surrounded by assassins made it blissful. In my breaks I did some research on the people who had the game. Most of them weren't keen on handing out 8 billion Jenny games to strangers and I didn't want to ask for stuff, so my planning started. It wasn't like stealing would be the first illegal thing in my record...

Mr. Wesley Wilcox had a copy of the game and wasn't that good of a person, so he'd have to do, he lived on the other end of this continent, so I deemed him far enough to be stolen. I booked the flights with the money I earned in Heaven's arena making sure I switched airships at least 7 times, it would be a long ride, but I had to get into Greed Island and find them spiders.

Watching the land move far away from the window, I wondered how come I had been traveling so much but getting nowhere. I missed writing, but this adventure was being a roller coaster of emotions and I didn't want to deal with them before putting them into a book.

Time moved so slowly when nothing exciting was happening, but I enjoyed it, managed to get some good rest and put my mind in the right place. When I got to the large mansion, that wasn't nearly as big as the Zoldyck's butlers accommodation house, my mind was blank, the plan was already in motion I didn't think it was wrong to use my nen to unlock the service door, nor that I picked a thief character that I seemed to dislike when writing but that now was being extremely useful. I tiptoed around the house making sure not to touch anything, until I found a well secured vault, that seemed like it.

There were two guards at the front but with a little noise in the back of the house one of the many distraction techniques they left to check it out leaving me to quickly sneak into the vault grab the game and leave unnoticed. The cameras? None could catch me all they could notice was the vault scene, which is why my next stop was on the surveillance room, to delete all footage from the last month.

Holding the game with my gloved hands, I got outside and felt incredibly surprised and suspicious at how easy it was to waltz inside and steal this 8 billion Jenny game. Shaking my head as if that would shake my thoughts away, I carefully saved the game in my bag and went to catch a train.

Nearly four days later, I arrived on my apartment in Heaven's Arena, laying on the bed dead beat. The ride was more tiring than sneaking inside Mr. Wilcox's house and stealing from him, I had no more time to spare, who knew for how long would the spiders stay inside this game? So, I got up, leaving my soft bed behind.

I already had a JoyStation ready on top of the small tea table on the living room, at least the long trip had been good, I didn't despair waiting for the JoyStation to be delivered at my place... I grabbed the game and inserted it slowly in the slot, afraid to break anything, and activated my nen.

Seconds later I was no longer in my living room.

Author's Note: Helloo hello~ these next few chapters will be a bit boring but they are necessary ~~  

> Edited on the 18th of August, 2021.