Chapter Five

"What are you doing here?" I whisper staring at Elijah.

"Ask your brother" he states as my eyes dart over to Stefan.

"Stefan?" I was in disbelief. He knew what I had been going through.

"You need this Ana" Stefan comments as I feel betrayal and anger rise within me.

"You bastard! How dare you!" I spit at him.

"And you, why would you come? Why would you leave me those messages; I..." I turn my attention to Elijah.

"You can't seriously be asking me that? Ana, you never let me explain myself" Elijah defends himself.

"You don't deserve the chance to explain yourself!" I yell at him feeling my eyes water.

"I loved you Ana!"

"Bullshit!" I throw my phone towards him though he moves from its path as it smashes against the wall behind him.

"I just got that fixed..." I hear Stefan whisper to himself though I ignore him.

"Why did you change your number?" I mumble curious to hear his reply.

"I had to change it for my own safety. I didn't know you would try and contact me. Not after all this time." He lowers his voice, trying to calm himself. I didn't hate seeing him, but I certainly didn't like it. But, seeing him did make me realise just how much I missed him...

"You broke my heart you know" I admit to him, having a tear roll down my cheek. I fold my arms, feeling vulnerable.

"I am so sorry for everything Ana" He mutters trying to find the words to explain himself. I didn't want him to keep talking, yet I wanted to hear his voice.

"So... how about that drink Stefan?" I find my voice as I peer over to Stefan.

"Yeah let me grab my jacket" he mumbles pushing past me. There is silence between Elijah and I, yet the atmosphere wasn't awkward. I didn't know whether or not I was going to regret this, but I'm going to find out.

"Did you want to join us?" It felt as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. It's nice...

"Why not?" He lightly smirks at me, knowing this was his chance to make his way back into my life.

"Let's go Ana" Stefan says as he goes to the front door. We head out of the house, towards Stefan's car. Breathe Ana... What's the worst that can happen?

"I'll be picking Caroline along the way" Stefan suddenly tells me, staring at me with only a look I could read. I get in the back seat, suddenly wishing I hadn't broken my phone. Now I have to pretend I'm listening to their conversations.

"How have you been?" Elijah questions me in a soft tone as he sits beside me.

"Surviving" I shrug looking out the window.

"When Stefan called you, what made you actually come?" I question him, turning my attention to him.

"I know you won't believe me Ana but... I've fallen in love with Stefan..." He stares blankly at me.

"I'm kidding" He smiles at me causing me to roll my eyes playfully.

"Very funny" I smile back almost forgetting why we stopped speaking in the first place. It felt as if nothing had changed between us. The car suddenly stops as Caroline gets in the front seat, next to Stefan.

"I guess I just missed talking to you" He finally answers my question.

"I know how you feel" I admit to him.