Final Chapter

The hearing commences the following week, but Steve is not called to testify until the third day.

Waiting in a wide corridor, he leans on the wall, nervously tapping his forefinger against the side of his thigh.

He is wearing his official military suit — one that he hasn't worn since 1944. The cut is different, more modern, but these are finally familiar clothes he is comfortable in.

The large black doors open in front of him and he is invited in. He stands up properly, readjusts the uniform and makes his way in. This looks nothing like a public trial: no audience, media or jury. Natasha is seated on a table with armed agents in position in every corner of the room. Colonel Fury is sitting aside, watching aloof. Ahead, there is a large bench towering over, with three people waiting with stern expressions. A tall man with grey hair and thin and sharp facial features, another with a round face and small eyes piercing through rectangle glasses and a woman, slightly older, with dark blond hair tied up in a neat bun.

He stops to stand before them, trying to keep his eyes from darting in her direction.

"Captain Steven Rogers," the tall man at the center begins. "Thank you for coming out today. Like in any court, and as a witness, you are expected to answer all the questions truthfully. Is that understood?"

He nods and then he is invited to sit.

"How did you meet Natasha Romanoff?" the man with the glasses starts it off.

"She was in the Russian facility where I was locked up for three months. She was in charge of liaising between me and her superiors," he answers.

He looks at her and finds her staring back.

"Is it wrong to say she was also in charge of your induction into extra-governmental missions?" another asks.

He nods. "It's correct. As per Colonel Petranov's orders."

The triumvirate seems to dismiss his comment as superfluous.

"I would have supposed you are here to share your testimony of the cruel treatment you received from Natasha Romanoff during your captivity," the man with the glasses continues while flipping through pages, "but the report I have here suggests you are here to testify in her favor. Am I reading it right?"

"Yes," he answers. "I am here to bring in new facts that might certainly differ from what you have in your files."

The three judges glance at one another. "We are listening, Captain Rogers."

Steve turns to look at Natasha again. She is watching intently.

"Agent Romanoff was everything that you mentioned earlier but not only," he begins. "She helped me."

"But you were her prisoner, weren't you?" the woman asks.

He presses his lips together but doesn't detach his eyes from her. "I thought so at first," he says quietly with wavering pupils, "until I realized she was, too. Not the blatant type like I was — more insidious and cruel. I wouldn't have escaped without her. She broke free — turned against her own people — and she let me out."

"So you ran away together?" the tall man asks.

"Yes. She's the one who took us to St Petersburg."

The triumvirate shares silent looks again.

"With all due respect, Captain — and I do not mean to belittle your judgment — but didn't it occur to you that all this might have been staged?" the woman asks. "A ploy put in place along with Colonel Petranov so she could earn your trust?"