prologue

I will warn you that this book is seldom a fairytale and lacks a happy ending. I, Ashton Fletcher Irwin, am not only writing this one hundred percent true story to be remembered but to teach people that happy endings are rarer than you think. I am remarkably depressed and it is a challenge to do what seems to be a fairly simply task; getting out of bed. Sleep is not a common occurrence in my life, yet I spend an unhealthy amount of time hidden away in the comfort of my own covers. This is not how a 20 year old should be living his life, I am aware of that. But it seems utterly impossible to live with a dull ache in my chest that refuses to subside.
And God, the lump in my throat can be compared to something as large and great as New York City. A place that is barely ten minutes away from my home. It is difficult to explain my feelings and equally as difficult to live with them. It seems as though the only excitement in my incredibly boring life is the feeling that washes over my heart when I stick a cigarette in-between my unbelievably chapped lips. Calm. Content. Those two words are such a rarity to a sad man such as myself. Just the thought of how good a cigarette would be right about now sends chills trickling down my exposed spine.
This book dips into my thoughts, and I would advise you to take mighty caution when reading this. My thoughts are far from pretty, but the moments shared from me to you in this book are pretty. Some. This will not be easy to write, but I feel as though it must be done.

(a/n: some of this book will be Ashton's notes {what is in italics} and other parts will be the actual story {regular georgia font.} this book is a love story and a story based upon the sadness of a man. he writes notes, telling us about his life and feelings. I personally think i write better in first person but the only parts of the book that are in 1st person are Ashton's notes. The rest of the story is in 3rd person . I hope you enjoy and please leave comments & talk to me. If you want to you can follow my instagram and twitter, both @frightfulafi Thank you:) -jess)