Part 3

You silently observed Jihyun dragging Taehyung to the seats at one of the front rows.

When did it happen? Have they had feelings for each other for a while now? Then what were you to him all this time?

The lake within, which you had tried to freeze over, was now swirling with undercurrents again, stronger than you will allow yourself to let on. You looked down at the table top where your notepad was resting on and tried to focus on just breathing. But some of your breaths get caught and you either forcefully pushed them out or swallowed them in again.

"Sunbaenim~ woooo~ are you our teaching assistant for this class? Our TA??", you heard the same squawky voice blast across the room again. Without lifting your head you glanced towards the entrance, eyes blurry.

There is truth when people say trouble does not come alone, it likes to come in groups.

The teaching assistant strutted with such confidence, her wavy long hair bouncing as though they had a life of their own. She was known to be smart, she was pretty, she was Hyesoo. Her eyes scanned the students in the class shrewdly, that was when her eyes momentarily met yours. The distant contact still managed to made you shudder, and she smirks a little.

The lecturer was mumbling something about the evolution of Van Gogh's styles, but Taehyung was obviously not paying attention. His eyes weren't even blinking. But for the slight heaving of his chest indicating a sign of breathing, he could pass off as a well-chiseled statue.

He knew that his relationship with Jihyun would hurt you, how could he not. But he shouldn't be concerned about your feelings anymore. The level of concern warranted for an ex-girlfriend should be ranked below a stranger in his arbitrary hierachy. Yes, it should be. For sure. But are you alright? Please don't let him see you cry.

Taehyung turns to look at Hyesoo sitting in the corner front row seat, typing away on a small laptop. He shouldn't be concerned at all. Yes, he shouldn't. Not at all. But will you be ok? Hyesoo never really liked you since forever. He searches his memory for any recollection.

During the arts faculty freshman camp, Taehyung and you were sorted into the same orientation group, and Hyesoo was one of the seniors in charge. It was common for seniors to break-in their juniors by bringing them out for drinks on the first night of the camp. Taehyung was never one fond of alcohol and he hated the taste of soju the most.

"What kind of man can't drink soju~, Taehyung-ah! Let's do a love shot!", Hyesoo was slurring, but she was attractive even then.

"Sunbaenim~ I really can't drink alcohol. Sunbaenim shouldn't drink so much too, it's bad for your health, let's use cider instead", Taehyung flashes a little aegyo to get out of the situation.

"Are you disregarding me? A hoobae shouldn't reject a senior's drink offer even if you don't like it... or do you just not want to do the love shot with me?", Hyesoo whined in an attempted-pitiable tone while holding out the soju glass.

The stares around started to grow awkward, Taehyung still hesitated to take the glass. He was internally begging for someone to do something, but she was a senior, who was going to do anything and risk offending her?

After a stifling pause, you stood up falteringly and took the glass out of Hyesoo's hand, "Sunbaenim, I'll take it instead". You downed the shot in one go, then you gave her your best genuine smile trying to diffuse the tension, although it was obvious you were still trembling a little.

The others at the table started cheering you for being Taehyung's "white knight", some of them cat-calling and some teasing that Taehyung should grant you a wish now. That was the first time Taehyung's heart started to flutter for you. Hyesoo, on the other hand, must have felt like she was slighted, and she mumbled beneath her breath, "Who does she think she is..."