Chapter One (Jiheon): Aspirations

Chapter One

Standing behind the curtain I pace back and forth, this is it, what I have fought so hard for. I tried to pretend it wasn't a big deal to everyone up until this point but now that I am here I'm so nervous my legs are just moving on their own leading me back and forth.

"She" is also here, and as she approaches she seems just as disgruntled to see me as I am to see her.

"Hello" She says with a wry smile, which I return.

After a moment of awkwardness, I manage to blurt out a coherent sentence.

"Well, best of luck"

She lets out of a smug laugh but before she can add in an equally condescending comment our conversation is cut short by the sound of the speaker on stage. Our ears immediately perk up and we make our way closer to the entrance.

I can barely make out the speaker's voice as I peak through the curtain and look around in the sea of people all dressed up and looking joyful at the special evening meant to showcase their children's achievements. My eyes dart around scanning the masses until I manage to find what I am looking for, my family gathered in the third row gleefully looking forward onto the stage, even my father seems to be the happiest I've seen him in years.

It brings a smile to my face immediately and a warm sensation that quells my nerves, until I feel a light push in my back which makes me stumble forward.

"Move over!" She says struggling to also stick her head out.

We spend the next few moments jockeying for position and manage to catch a few less than flattering glances from the people seated closest until our conflict is quickly brought to a standstill by the echoing announcement from the person in front of the podium.

"-and with that we are honored to announce the winner. Please welcome the first-place finisher Baek Ji-"

Jiheon

"Jiheonah!"

"Jiheonah!!"

"JIHEONAHH!"

I get shocked out of my dazed state by the screams of the girl standing at my bedside.

Groggily I look up at the person who had just stomped on my perfect dream without any consideration. Living here it's become a fact of life that you will be woken up frequently and abruptly, but even for this group it's odd for it to happen so early in the morning.

"You have school, don't you?" Jiwon asks and shoots me a quizzical look.

I grab my phone and look at the time, 6 am.

Ahh, I really do have to get up.

"Yeah...but why are you awake so early, Unnie?" I ask slowly getting out of bed and rubbing my eyes.