14. Hannibal And I Have A Roast Battle

Okay, so, this chapter is kind of boring (it's actually not even super duper important) but it's, like, crucial, if you're super into history and you know, like, everything. If you do know why this thing is really important... I would say try not to drop it in the comments because I kinda want it to be a surprise...

:)

Edit: Remember this boring chapter? Well, now it's just as boring but longer!

JK lmao. I mean not really but I actually really, REALLY like this chapter for some reason even though I shouldn't because it's just so boring but also I think I just like Hannibal so. There's that I guess.

I had another dream.

This time, I was pacing in not a tent but a forest, my purple cape stirring in the night breeze, my frustration threatening to devour the trees. He had asked for an audience, after all, and here he was. Late. It was almost laughable. My hand tightened on my glittering bow as I glanced at the moon, wondering if I should've just left. I had accepted his request because some part of me admired him, but that admiration was fading fast.

At last, I heard the crunching of leaves behind me, and I turned around, my eyes and smile cold. "You're late."

"Forgive me," the man said.

He too was dressed in armor, a sword strapped to his side. I tilted my head, my smile frosty at his almost-disguised look. "Surprised?"

"I suppose not. Rumors do tend to hold some truth to them."

"You requested a meeting with me. I only agreed because I wanted to meet the man who defeated Rome battle after battle. I suppose you have an offer you want to make, so speak."

Instead of getting straight to the point, however, he frowned. "And where is your... friend?"

I managed to keep the smile on my face, but my eyes hardened at his words. "Must he be here? He is awaiting this meeting's results, if you must know. He can't stand the sight of you, and we shall see if I can either." I almost smirked when I saw the slight flinch he gave at my words. "Speak, or else I will suspect that I have waited for you for no reason. Shall I remind you which one of us was late when you were the one who requested a meeting?"

"My soldiers were in a panic when they heard who they expected to fight," he replied. "I was required to stay back to calm them. I had to promise them I would do everything in my power to make sure it was not you they faced in battle tomorrow."

I understood what he was doing, and my smile widened, but it didn't get any warmer. "Flattery will not get you anywhere."

"Then let us begin." He didn't for a few moments, studying the trees instead—the last time he'd see them. "I was the one who started this war. I always seemed to have victory, and yet here I am, looking for peace. I come of my own free will, and I'm glad I'm seeking it from you. I'm glad it was you that I surrendered to, that though I had claimed so many victories over Rome's other generals, you were the one to finally defeat me, the one to end this war, which had been made famous by your countrymen's defeats before mine."

By then, he had started to pace, hand gripping the hilt of his sword distractedly. I doubted he knew what he was doing—he was simply agitated, ready to say whatever it took to satisfy me—but I still watched him warily. Though I hated swords, I wasn't incompetent with them. In fact, I was probably better with them than anyone. If it came down to it, I could easily defeat him. And we both knew that.

"If only the gods had made us content with what we had. Rome with Italy, and Carthage with Africa. Sicily and Sardinia can't compare to the old Roman fleets, armies, and generals. But though we can regret the past, we cannot fix it. We fought in Italy to capture what did not belong to us, and now we fight to defend what is ours. You saw us behind the gates of Rome, and now we hear the roars of Rome beyond our walls. But now we must decide for peace. Whatever we decide, our states will ratify. All we need are sensible discussions."