1

san.

Crystal water, distorting bright blue skies. That's what he saw above him. If he reached up, he would break the surface and maybe he could feel the wind against his hand. Wind, it was something that you don't ever encounter as a selkie.

"San," Hongjoong's voice was calm in his mind. "We're close to land, don't blow our cover now." San rolled his eyes, diving deeper into the water to join his friends. He saw Hongjoong and Mingi, who was doing loops underwater. He playfully flicked his tail at Mingi, catching him in the shoulder.

Mingi looked at him with murder in his eyes, "San, I'm gonna kill you." Mingi rushed at him and he laughed, noiseless in the water. He let Mingi catch him, and struggled a little as Mingi started to poke him.

"Why did I decide to take you guys with me?" Hongjoong shook his head.

"This is the first time San actually wants to come with us! Don't ruin it with your old man attitude," Mingi's voice was almost too loud in San's head. San glared at him pointedly. He had reasons for not coming along.

San shook away the feeling, "Are we almost there?"

"Give it like 30 minutes, we'll start seeing coral. We have to wait till nighttime unless you want to be caught naked by some humans," Hongjoong's thoughts were calm and calculated. San looked over to his friends. He was glad that they were there.

Hongjoong was his dependable brother-figure. He wad the only family that San had. Mingi was his best friend. If Hongjoong were the lines, Mingi would be the color filling up the painting. They gave him so much to explore and all their memories would stay with San for a long time.

"We're here," Mingi shouted and San almost wished he had a remote to tone down the volume that Mingi's voice projected in his mind. He shook his head, following closely behind Hongjoong.

The sky had turned dark up above, San noticed a few lights cutting through the water. Lighthouses, he deduced. He only knew about them through Hongjoong and Mingi's stories. It was odd to think about. The world must've changed a lot in the years he was gone.

"Hey Mingi," San willed himself to look at the dark ocean below. "Do you think humans are better now?"

"I think they've learned especially since the last time you were here," Mingi replied, grabbing San's hand. San hummed, following Mingi into a dark place. He gripped tighter on Mingi's hand, the odd darkness warping around them.

"San, surface."

So he did. He pushed himself through the water, breaking into air. He felt a slight tingle, then a burn as his lungs were deprived of water. This was not supposed to happen. He felt arms pulling him above the water even more. He thrashed. No, no, no. He had to get back in the water.

A flash of white invaded his vision. He didn't know if it was real or if it was in his mind. He gasped, taking in his first breaths of air. He opened his eyes to see his two friends smiling down at him.

He saw Hongjoong's mouth open, "Welcome to the surface." San shifted, staring at his lower half. A soft, fur pelt covered his lower half. He tugged on it, revealing two legs. He moved around his legs, at awe at how they moved.

"Hey, we have no time, let's quickly change into some clothes and head to my apartment," Hongjoong spoke again. His voice sounded different. A lot sharper and more real. San felt dizzy. He was really a human.

"San, quickly. We can't let anyone find you like this," Mingi hoisted his limp body up. San experimentally stood on his legs. It felt like he was on stilts or standing on something unstable. He frowned, not liking the discomfort.