III. Coffee Sounds Great

One Week Later

Kristen‘s P.O.V.

“Kristen, hi…“ Nikki said with a huge smile on her face, while opening the door after I knocked. “Hey.“ I greeted her back as hugging her tightly.

“So… How was Japan?“ She asked and put our coffees on a table. “It was awesome. The people, the hotel room view… and the sushi…“ Nikki laughed and took a sip of her Latte. “And what about you and Nicholas? Are you two still just friends?“ She asked inquisitively. “Ehmm… yeah… I hope so….“ I muttered. “You did it, didn‘t you?“ Suddenly she sounded kind of... off. I didn‘t know why her mood changed so quickly. I mean… she was the one who told me to give it a shot. “It was just a one-time thing. I mean… he’s a great guy, but we wouldn‘t work. We slept together just because he wanted to forget about Jenn and me about Rob. It didn't work. For any of us.“ I said with a broken voice and looked down to my hand with the golden ring Rob once gave me for my birthday on it.

“Oh…“ Nikki moved closer to me to give me a hug. “He’s still in there, isn‘t he?“ She asked as she laid her finger to the left side of my chest. I nodded, while my eyes were slowly watering. “What am I gonna do about it?“ I sobbed, when she pulled me closer. “He’s dating Thali now and he seems so happy… I have no right to take the happiness away from him, by telling him what I feel.“ A tear started running down my face, when I pictured the beautiful new girlfriend of Rob’s. 

“And what if he feels the same way? Have you thought of that?“ Nikki asked as gently pulling me away, so she could look in my face. “I can‘t allow myself. Cause what if he doesn‘t? I need to be prepared for the worse scenario.“ I said quietly through  -now more loud-  sobbs.

“And the most fucked up thing is… he’s my best friend and need him. He always makes me forget about the negative stuff and he makes me laugh so hard. And I need it right now. When I feel bad, he’s the only one who can fix me. Even if it‘s him who made me feel this way.“ I sobbed one more time, before wiping the tears off my face.

-------

“You should call him. Tell him you‘re back in L.A. and you need your friend back.“ Nikki suggested as opening the front door for me when I was leaving. I nodded and gave her a quick hug, before I stepped outside the door.

--------

My phone rang as I was getting in the car. It was Rob.     

“Kris… Hey… Ehmm… I wondered if you‘d like to come to my place for a coffee or something, when you‘re back here. I really need to talk to you.“ My heart started beating like crazy, when I heard Rob’s voice after these few weeks we haven‘t spoken to each other.   

“I’m already here – in L.A. I arrived just yesterday. And ehmm… Coffee sounds great.“ I was so excited to see him again, that I almost started cheering like a teenage girl who was just asked on a date by the hottest guy at school.                                                    

“So…tomorrow at 11AM?“ He sounded pretty excited.                                                                                    

“Okay. See you tomorrow.“ I quietly high-fived myself, after his “Okay. Bye.“