CHAPTER I: Scene 1

WATTPAD PRESENTS

In a time when technology ruled, my story begins by the shores of Lake Michigan. It was a typical day, the sun's rays gleaming on the clear waters. I stood there, lost in thought, weighed down by regret. I wished I could turn back time, rewrite my past, and avoid the looming disaster.

Little did I know that my contemplation by the peaceful lakeside would kickstart a personal journey. A journey through time and destiny, in search of redemption and understanding. It would push the limits of what a person could endure. This is only the beginning, where the lines between past and future blur, and the shadows of tragedy cast a long, uncertain path ahead.

" The Friends of Time: Adventure Begins "

Scene 1: Missed School Bus

The shrill "Krrrng!" of the alarm yanked me from my slumber, and I fumbled to check the time; it was a groggy 6:00 in the morning. With a yawn, I dragged myself out of bed and trudged toward the shower, my mind still haunted by the strange dream I'd had about Lake Michigan the night before. It was as if I needed that dream to find some inner peace after the events of the past week.

I'm Ralph, an average teenager living in bustling Chicago, Illinois. I had just turned 14, marking the start of a new chapter in my life. I wasn't your typical guy; some called me the quiet weirdo, but I didn't blame them. I just wanted a normal life filled with meaning.

As I got ready, I looked out the window and saw the school bus passing by our house, even though it was only 7 in the morning. I thought back to what my friend had said – that the bus wouldn't leave until 8:00 am. "Damn that moron!," I muttered to myself. I rushed to finish getting ready and then hurried over to my friend's house.

"Neil! Hey, com'on out! We're running late!" I called out to him from his gate.

Neil finally emerged, clearly not thrilled about the impending school day. "What's going on? Why are you here so early?"

I empathized with his mood but couldn't help feeling a bit frustrated. "We both missed the bus, and it's kind of your fault."

Clearly irked, Neil shot back, "Huh? Me? What do you mean? The bus is supposed to leave at 8:00."

"I saw it leave early this morning, even though you told us it was at 8:00," I clarified, pointing at him with a hint of sarcasm.

Neil rolled his eyes in annoyance. "I knew it! That's why I had a feeling something was off," he muttered under his breath.

"Hailey is going to be pretty upset when she finds out about this," I muttered as we pedaled down the street to Hailey's place.

When we arrived at Hailey's house, Neil called out, "Hailey!"

"Hailey, yoo-hoo!" he added.

Hailey opened her bedroom window, clearly just having woken up. "What are you two doing here?" she asked, clearly confused.

I chimed in, "The bus left at 7:00, and it's all his fault!" pointing at Neil standing beside me.

"What?! I thought it was at 8:00? Ugh, you're such a great friend, Neil!" Hailey exclaimed sarcastically, and Neil responded with a defiant middle finger.

"Enough with your shenanigans, you two. Hurry up and get ready! We're going to be late!" I urged, and Hailey slammed her window shut loudly. Neil rolled his eyes, and I just shook my head, exasperated by the situation.

We waited for Hailey as she got ready for school, and our conversation shifted to more personal matters. Surprisingly, Neil broached the topic of my relationship status and gently reminded me that my anniversary with Taylor was looming.

I hesitated for a moment but eventually confessed, "She... she broke up with me last week."

Neil's eyes widened in shock, "What! What happened?"

As I began to explain, my voice trembled with emotion. "I don't know, she just ended it abruptly, and I was devastated. I'm a complete mess."

Neil patted my shoulder with a reassuring smile and said, "That's really tough, but I know you'll move on soon. You'll get there, buddy. We both know you can."

I wasn't entirely convinced, and I replied, "Well, it's not that easy."

He maintained his supportive attitude and added, "Yeah, no matter the reason, you'll be okay, I'm sure."

I sighed, overwhelmed by emotions, "Either way. Whatever."

A heavy silence hung in the air until Neil, with a glance at his watch, asked about Hailey's whereabouts.

Finally, Hailey appeared, grabbed her bike, and opened the gate.

"What took you so long? We've been waiting for ages!" Neil complained. Hailey went up to him and swiftly kicked his leg. "Ouch! What the hell!" Neil cried out in pain.

"If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't be running late!" Hailey exclaimed, venting her frustration.

I couldn't help but smile and shrugged my shoulders, finding their exchange oddly amusing.

With that, we continued our journey to Central Einsteinian University, ready to face whatever adventures the day had in store for us.

End of Scene 1...