Prologue

Nights like these were completely meaningless. Just letting your cold gaze seep into the light of the device you held in your sweaty palm.

It was usually like this. Never quite finding the special someone, who you thought liked you back, replying to your messages. Having read over your texts repeatedly to make sure there were no errors, the only thing you could read again was, 'read, 11:34'.

You let out a groan of defeat, turning to lie on your back and stare at the ceiling. Your phone slipping out of your now deadly cold grasp.

" Why do I even still do this... "

You jolted when you felt your cellphone vibrate against your palm, sitting up and staring at it with a cheeky grin, "It's about time! " Your cheer was cut off short when you read the message you got.

' Hey there <Y/N>! I'll need you to come in tomorrow to try the game out. I know it's a lot, especially since you've been busy with your part-time job, but Jeremy insists he rather not play it. Thanks, and goodnight!'

You let your <EYE COLOR> gaze re-read what you just got in disbelief before your eyebrows knitted together and you frowned, " You've got to be kidding me... "

------

The next morning, you were far too lazy to dress up and look good, just stumbling out of your covers and throwing on a casual outfit and styling your hair as you wish.

The drive to the workplace was rather exhausting. Almost every inch you went forward, someone was honking at you, even though you could do nothing to make it go faster.

" Goodmorning, <Y/N>. " your co-worker greeted in a chipper tone as you walked through the glass door.

" Hello, ------. " you gave a small wave at the other female, giving a strained and tired smile.

" Are you okay? " she asked, her eyebrows furrowing together. You gave a stiff nod in response, brushing past her a little harshly.

Almost making a scene as you went into his office, your boss stared at you, " Ah! I'm surprised you came. " he gave a half-hearted smile toward your tired frame, standing from his seat and walking toward you.

" Yeah. Anyways, is the headset still where it usually is?" you sputtered, nearly yawning in the middle of your question. " Of course. You know the way. " he offered you a friendly grin, gently nudging you out the door, " Go on now. That game can't play itself. " he hummed before shutting the door.

" That game can't play itself... " you mocked quietly, in a high pitched voice as you made your way to the main room. On the walk there, you ran into your brunette companion, Jeremy.

Upon seeing you, he jolted and gave a faint smile. " <Y/N>! " he said, seemingly excited to see you. " Where are you headed? "

Giving your friend a ruffle of his chocolate locks, you gave a careless shrug and smiled lazily. "I have to try out the game. Boss wants to know what I think of it," you admitted, watching as Jeremy's face contorted into one of fear and worry before he gripped your upper arms.

" Listen, <Y/N>, you cannot play that wretched game. " he spat, nose scrunching up at the thought of even mentioning the name.

" What-? Why? " you questioned further, furrowing your eyebrows together.

It was only then you noticed the dark bags under Jeremy's eyes, indicating his recent lack of sleep. Was that game the reason?

" It'll drive you mad, trust me. Just...say you played it and you think it's great, " pausing, his breath hitched, " Please, " he pleaded.

You brushed the male off of you with a sigh, " Don't worry, Jere. "

" <Y/N>, please you-"

" I'll be fine, "

The taller stared at you as you walked past him, practically leaving him in the dust.

No doubt he was worried, but your lack of concern and confidence made him horrified. To think he might lose you.

It was almost in slow motion as you turned the computer on and slipped the Virtual Reality headset over your head and eyes.

||} I cant wait to see what y'all think of this -