Chapter 8: Expedition

"Strump, unless you give me what I want more people will die than what's necessary. Have you reconsidered your position?"

"How are you doing this?" Governor Ronald Strump spoke with a quiet terror, holding the screen on his phone close to his face. It displayed an error message where there should have been video, and the voice that came through was distorted. He was seated at his desk in his home office aboard the orbital station. The windows were blacked out, the door shut and locked. 

"You were very rude to me last time we spoke."

Governor Strump pulled at the neck of his suit. "Y-yes, I remember. I still can't just—"

"That's on the list of words I didn't want to hear from you, Ron."

"I—I'm sorry—"

"Yeah, that's on the list too. Why don't you try yes?"

"They'll kill me—they'll know it was me. Jensen Lee got himself seen. The whole police force is after him, I can't just let him through the gates," the Governor said, and put some strength back in his voice. "No, I won't do it. I won't do that for you. I'll preserve what dignity I have left. These people voted for me. They believe in me. I won't help you."

"Oh, come on, Strump. Don't be an airhead. You're only Governor thanks to me."

"I refuse," Strump declared with an air of finality, and ended the call.

The phone wasn't responding to his input. The call didn't end. 

"Ronnie Boy," the scrambled voice sang. "I've been helping you out here. Working with you. Tell me with a straight face you would've gotten re-elected without my help, Ron. Those people were at your throat a few months ago, and now they worship you. Listen, I've given you this much, and I can take it away just as easily. You can open your gates to let my man Lee out and I won't touch your city, or you can continue being difficult and I'll smash it to dust."

"I won't do it—"

"YOU WILL!"

Strump trembled at the volume of the shout and nearly dropped the phone. 

"I have been lenient with you, dirtwalker. The streak of paltry victories that kept you your title, Governor, were not earned by you, they were given to you. By me. I have allowed your military to believe it has eradicated the pirate threat for the moment, but I will not wait any longer. Give me the map. Let him through or I'll take your head first, Strump."

Governor Strump's reply was a mewling sob. The scrambled voice on the other end heaved an exasperated sigh, as though Strump was a misbehaving younger sibling. 

"Look, I want to make this deal work but my boys are getting very restless, Strump. They don't want this to work. They want you to let your pride get the better of you. They want to be in your cities, eating your rich food and ravishing your fine women. And they know all I've got to do is let them loose. Just a bunch of snarling dogs, they are. Animal urges, you know. But I just want the map. And if you give it to me I can lead this pack of howling dogs away. Without that map...."

"I won't," whispered Strump.

"You either do or you don't, Strump. It's your head. We're coming."

The screen went black, and Governor Strump collapsed into a dejected heap. 

#

Gim stared out at the stars through the thick window in the living room of the Governor's quarters. He had spent the past three and a half hours standing in the same spot mentally reviewing what he was instructed to cook for Governor Strump's post-meeting breakfast. The local ingredients shifted seasonally: today it would be three grilled venison spice sausages, two fried warbler eggs, one thinly sliced chilled lotus fruit and of course the accompanying lotus tea. Yesterday Gim had Strump himself confirm his menu for the day ahead, and he said he would be "looking forward to each meal."