Chapter 4: Moving In

~ ☕ ~

"You don't have to do this, Linda."

Matt told me for a hundredth time today as I put my things in the back of his car. He was standing behind me with a knowing face.

"I have to. Father wants me to do this." I turned around to face him. He had his arms crossed in front of his chest. I must do this.

Father is the CEO of a company where he used to work as an executive. The previous CEO is Father's friend and they trust each other very much. His friend is now bedridden for an unknown illness. Because of that, he couldn't work anymore. He gave his position to Father.

He eventually became obsessed with the power according to Matt. But for me, he needs to be strict for people to recognize him as the CEO.

Ever since Father became the CEO, it seemed like his job is more important than his family. But I guess you have to be like that in order to make quite a living for your family, right?

When Matt finally came back in America, we had a family dinner. We ate in an expensive restaurant. Not long while eating, Father spoke up about his position to my brother. At first, Matt laughed at him, stating that Father was being funny. Mom gave him a silent glare and Matt eventually stopped laughing. He said that he doesn't want to be a CEO. He wants to continue his job as a teacher.

But Father kept on insisting that Matt should accept his proposition. And Matt's actions afterwards were far from our own liking. I managed to calm him down not long after his outburst. If there's anything he hates, it would be people insisting about what he should do when he honestly don't want to.

After a while, Father said that if Matt wouldn't accept it, then he'll choose me. He will make me study in a prestigious school. It would require me living away from our hometown where I grew up. Mom's eyes were looking at me with sadness while Matt protested. But Father kept on ignoring him as he waited for my response. Surprisingly, I accepted his proposition after a few minutes of processing everything he said.

"You're lying to yourself, Linda." Matt started the ignition and drove. I silently leaned back on the passenger seat as I looked out of the window.

"You know, I am so pissed at you right now." No surprise, brother. "I was expecting that you'll put up some fight using your fancy words, after all you are way smarter and reasonable than me. And yet, you accepted it? I didn't teach you that, Linda." Matt continued with a frown on his face. Is it weird that I am not regretting this neither being ecstatic about it?

"Father wants me to do this." I repeated the same phrase over again.

"Dad was being selfish. You had a freaking chance to say no and slap it on his face. But you didn't do that. You just let him toy you around, just like what he usually does with Mom!" he whispered hardly at me as he kept on driving.

"How many hours until we get to the apartment?" I refused to say anything about what he just said.

"Two hours." he mumbled, still refusing to look at me. I nodded, even though he wouldn't see it and closed my eyes to sleep.

~

The car stopped moving so I opened my eyes. I looked out of the window and saw a house with two floors. "That's where you're staying at." Matt somehow answered my silent question.

"Matt, I thought I'll be staying in an apartment." I told him as a matter of fact. Matt ignored me as he went outside of the car to get my things. Father told Matt to look for an apartment wherein I can stay that is near to the school.

"You'll have a housemate. Don't worry, he's a good guy. He might knock some sense out of you," he mumbled the last part as he was being fast with his actions.

"Wait, did you just say a guy? Really, Matt?" I straightened my bags because they were being carelessly put on the grass by my brother.

"Yes, a guy, Linda." Silence enveloped us as I watched him dealing with my bags.

After getting the last bag and closing his car, he looked at me with sincerity in his face, "Look, Linda, sister, or whatever nickname you want me to call you," I smiled at this. "I will not apologize on everything I said to you since yesterday. I know deep down in your heart that you don't want to do this. That's why I'm telling you, right at this moment, it is not too late to turn back from Dad's expectations. I want you to be you. Not Dad's puppet."

I looked at him with confusion as his words sank in, "What should I do, then? How will I turn back when everything is already planned in front of me?"

He smiled at me for the first time, "Figure it out yourself. Just don't forget I am always by your side. Except if you're doing something illegal." he hugged me as he mumbled the last part. I chuckled and hugged him back.

He pulled away and made his way back to his car. He glanced at me with a smile before entering his car and drove away.

I sighed as I looked at my bags. Great, he didn't even help me carry these all the way into the house.

I looked on the house and walked towards the door. I pressed the doorbell for two times. No response. I pressed it again, but no response.

Oh, what a great day indeed. Boys don't let me down by proving my point that all of them are annoying.

I tensed up when I heard a masculine voice coming from behind me. And he has a British accent, "What are you doing here?"