chapter 1

Flo

I traced my fingertips across the biology book in my hands in complete boredom. I’ve never been keen in going to school or studying the tons of books I had to, maybe this is the reason I’ve always been falling behind in every class possible, even English. I preferred spending my time reading books instead, as in literature, or locking myself in my room. My parents always thought I was as normal as any other teenager, which wasn’t completely true. I’ve always been a closed, if you may, child.

Florence Paige Evans. My mother loved having my full name written in library cards, on the cover of my school books or something similar, that’s why she always gave away my middle name. Paige wasn’t exactly my dream name but I didn’t care; no one knew anyway. Who was there to know? I haven’t had a single friend since what, three years? Probably more.

My first day at the new school had officially ended, not in the best way to be honest. People always looked at me so critically, as if I’ve done something really messed up. Was it my thick accent, my weird appearance or anything on me in general? That I never found out, since no one took just a second to actually speak to me.

Tears started brimming in my eyes but I blinked them away when the bus reached the station a few minutes away from the library. I always catch myself thinking about this place and just minutes after, ending up going there. My mother is too busy remodeling and unpacking that she doesn’t even pay attention to me leaving, and when she does, one phone call is enough to get her to stop worrying.

The sweet sound of the petite bell hung upon the wooden door filled the room and I smiled right away. Mrs. Mary, the lady who owned the place appeared from a room, carrying the usual trolley with two tea cups filled from the edge and down, a bowl of sugar cubs and small jug with milk. She immediately offered me a welcoming smile, gesturing towards the wooden table placed near a few bookcases.

She handed me the cup and I dived just one sugar cub inside, waiting for it to melt. “Milk?” she asked kindly but I declined the offer. My father used to have milk with his tea and I simply avoided most of the stuff that remind me of him, ever since he passed. “So, how was your first day of school, dear?”

“Decent” I answered, taking a sip from my drink. “That’s what happens with new beginnings, though. It takes a while for people to get used of your existence, especially when you’re coming into their life this late”.

“It’s never late for changes, you’re still young” she protested whilst drinking from her tea, repeating after me. “You’re seventeen; you have a whole world on your feet and so many years ahead of you”. With a knowing smile, she added: “It’s never too late”.

“I guess” was all I said. There was nothing else I could think of, to be honest; she was absolutely right.

Suddenly I felt her holding onto my hand in remorse and a sad smile pulling on her wrinkled face. “How is your mother holding up?”

I’ve been coming to this library ever since we came here, which was about two weeks earlier, and one day I just had to tell somebody everything and she was the only person around. She reminded me of my grandma, who unfortunately passed just a few years before my dad did. “She’s okay, getting as distant as she can” I replied with a nod.

“You have to understand her pain, darling. These things are never easy to be gotten over” Mrs. Mary said to me quietly, and I shook my head one more time, not knowing what to say once again.

The sweet sound of the bell had turned into a rough squeal when it sounded again, signaling another person walking inside. Our peaceful conversation was interrupted by a tall boy, standing a few meters away from us. Mrs. Mary’s eyes lit up when she saw him and stood up, wasting no more time.