Spreading Our Wings

Hermione's POV

     "Graduation is a celebration, a time for looking back in lessons learned, adventures shared, bright moments filled with special meaning. A farewell, a time for saying goodbye to old friends, to good times you've known, a time for packing away memories and treasures for tomorrow. But it's also a beginning, a time for looking forward, a time to set new goals, to dream new dreams, to try your wings and see what lies beyond. So fellow classmates, please join me in moving your tassels from right to left, let's spread our wings." As I finish the crowd erupts in cheers as the tears in my eyes threaten to pour out. I did it.

Making my way through the crowd is harder said than done. All the people around me crying and laughing. People I don't know telling me they'll miss me and hugging me with tear-filled eyes and smiles spread so far you can see all of their teeth. But I'm only looking for one person.

     "Hermione!" I hear a familiar voice yell. As I turn around the smile falls from my face and my heart begins to pick up its pace. I try to escape backing away from the man making his way towards me but I can't. There are too many people around. "Please Hermione. I just wanna talk." He says grabbing my wrist then immediately dropping it. "Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you. But I had to get to you before they did. Can we please go somewhere and talk?" He semi yells over the roaring crowd.

     "No Ron. We can't." I tell back with disgust. "I don't have anything to say to you. And I never wanna see you again. I haven't said anything because of your family but mark my words, Ronald. If you touch me again or come any closer I will go to the police." I sneer back.

     "I promise I won't touch you. I don't want forgiveness, Hermione. I just want to apologize for everything I have done to you. I hurt you," He takes a breath and that's when I notice the sadness in his eyes. "and not just your heart. I physically and mentally abused you for years. And I know that there is no excuse for the things I did and I don't want your forgiveness, I don't deserve it. I just want to tell you how sorry I am. I'm getting help, and my therapist said I need to own up to my mistakes and apologize so that I can't try to move on. I want to be a better person Hermione."

He never stepped any closer. He just stood there a little farther than arm's length away, with disappointment and sadness in his eyes. In my heart I know he's telling the truth. He looks healthier to me. Like he did when we were younger. There is so much pain in his eyes. I can see that he's telling the truth and his apologies are sincere. But I know we can never get back to what we had before we started dating. We have both changed too much for that, and honestly, it's for the better. But somehow my heart tells me to do the one thing I never thought I would. I stand up straight, square my shoulders, take a deep breath and take two steps closer to him so I don't have to yell.

     "My forgiveness will come with time if you can prove that you really have changed. Things won't be the same though. I don't want you in my life as more than an acquaintance. You will go back to being my best friends brother, and that is all you will be to me." I say with a stern voice.

     "Thank you so much, Herm," He starts to take a step forward to try and hug me. But I put my hand up and he stops, immediately dropping his arms to his sides.

     "I mean it, Ronald. I don't want you in my life. You ruined me. And Draco has helped me rebuild myself. So as I said, I will accept your apology but it changes nothing between us. You will have to prove it to me that you truly have changed and become a better man."  I turn leaving him in the crowd of people that's slowly thinning. My eyes no longer holding back my tears.

I make my way out of the crowded arena and out into thick, humid air. I suck in a deep breath of air and squat down to steady myself. After a few moments, I see a pair of sand brown dress shoes. Moments later a finger is being placed under my chin raising it to the most beautiful face. As his signature smirk breaks out across his face, he caresses my cheek with his thumb.