Chapter 05: First night

After the incident with Squid and Zigzag, I found my way to the mess hall to eat dinner I'm guessing. I grabbed a tray and walked over to a long counter and stood in line to get what I thought was food. I held out my tray and waited for the person to put food on my tray so I can finally eat something. I wanted food but instead, I got a pile of something that I don't even know what it is. Once I got my 'food' I went and walked over to a random table but Magnet pulled me over and sat me between him and Zigzag and across from squid. "Chica you sit here," he said in his Spanish accent. "Yeah, we don't want those other guys to bother you, there not as nice as us," said Zigzag with a hint of a southern accent.

"Hey, new kid. Hey you, you didn't dig today so why don't you give your bread to someone who did huh?" said X-ray as he leaned over the table and took my bread from my trey. I just looked at him then looked at my trey with a grossed-out face. "Hey, why aren't you eating? You know its better than it looks," said Armpit stuffing his face. "Nuh-uh, no sir, I'm not touching that," I said then pushing my trey towards Armpit. "You can have it." I went to go stand up then Zigzag grabbed my arm and sat me down again. "You have to eat or you'll starve and die." He said grabbing my trey from Armpit before he could eat it. "I'm not eating any of that. So good luck trying to get me to eat." "Fine take your stupid bread back." said X-ray and throwing my bread to me. "Thanks, I guess," I told him.

"What they get you in here for?" asked Squid. "Beating up three kids." was all I said and stared down at my 'food' with a blank face. The guys laughed a bit and asked why. "They were beating on one of my brothers so I taught three teenagers around the age of 13 or something a lesson not to mess with him or me." They looked kinda shocked. "Did you kill them?" asked Zigzag with a smile plastered on his face, I was so confused on why he would as that and why is he smiling. "First of all no, second of all why would you ask that? Third of all why are you smiling?" I asked and he didn't answer me, all he did was eat. "Sweetheart he doesn't know what he's talking about but you're fine he won't do nothin' to ya," said Squid. "Um okay?" 

We all finished eating and were heading back to the tent when I remembered that I was going to call my friend Hope. I quickly turned around and ran off to find mom and he was in the mess hall cleaning up a bit. "Hey, mom do you think you could let me use the phone and call one of my friends before I head to bed?" I asked politely. "Sure but only ten minutes you hear." "Yup thank you." I ran over to the phone and dialed her number. On the first ring, I heard her voice.

"Hello?" she asked. "Hey, Hopey what's up?" "First of all, don't call me that and second of all I should be asking you that."

We talked until my ten minutes was up and I ran back to the tent and remembered I had to sleep next to Squid and Zigzag on their cots. I walked into the tent quietly until I noticed everybody was still awake. I went over to my cot and grabbed some clothes and told all the guys to turn around, once they did I changed into a black baggy t-shirt and some black shorts. I told them all that they could turn back around and once they did I went on my cot and laid down facing the ceiling. I wasn't tired.

After a while a still couldn't sleep so I just laid there. I sat up and looked around the room and saw everybody asleep and sprawled out on their cots. It smelled really bad though because Armpits had his arms up and I'm guessing that how he got his nickname. I laid back down and I was suddenly tired so I turned to my right and I was now facing Squid and closed my eyes. Then suddenly a trumpet sound blasted through the whole camp. I jolted up and lost my balance a bit but still fell off the cot. I laid there for a second until Squid got up and noticed me on the ground. "Hey, little darlin' ain't you supposed to be sleeping on the cot?" He asked with an accent. I just looked at him with a tired stare. "No sleep huh?" He asked while helping me to my feet. "Nope and thanks," I said. "No problem." 

I slipped my orange suit on and followed the guys outside but stayed close to Squid. We went over to Mr.Sir and Mom, "Smiling faces, smiling faces." said mom. Mr.Sir opened a little shed that said library on it and there were a whole bunch of shovels were stored. "Okay come and get it," said Mr.Sir before walking away. "Come on let's go," he shouted as we all lined up and got shovels for our selves. I grabbed one and started walking over to a place where there was what they called food. Out of nowhere X-ray came over and grabbed the shovel out of my hand and threw the one he got on the ground. "You picked up X-rays shovel. Its shorter than the rest of them," said Magent then walked off before Squid got to me. "Smaller shovel, smaller holes." He said with a mouth half full of food.