I Choose You

Prologue

Nine Years Earlier

Skylar

 I'm sitting on the porch with my father reading my favorite book when my sister Sidney comes running out of the house. "See you later!" she yells over her shoulder as she's running off the porch.

I look over at my father and he's wearing a frown. I'm not sure why since he was smiling a little while ago. "Wait a minute young lady.", he calls after my sister.

Huffing Sidney turns to face our father, "What?"

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Out."

"Out where?"

Sidney stomps her foot and yells, "Out to the pack house. I already cleared it with mom." Sidney turns to leave.

Dad looks over to me, "Why don't you take your sister with you? She could play with the other pups."

No, I don't want to go. None of the other pups will talk to me or play with me. I'd rather stay her and read. 

Sidney stops, turns and narrows her eyes at me, "Seriously? I'm not her babysitter."

I look up to my dad and he looks mad. "You will take your sister to the pack house and you will try to be a good big sister for once in your life." Oh no, daddy is going to make me go.

"Fine! Come on brat." Sidney turns and starts to walk away.

I look up to my father, "Go on baby girl. Go have some fun, but be good." My father tries to warm me but he's smiling. He knows I don't get into any trouble. How do I tell him I don't want to go? I can't, I will only disappoint him. 

I walk up to my father and give him a hug. "I love you daddy."

My dad hugs me back, "I love you to baby girl. Now get going."

I grab my book and leap off the porch and take off after my sister before my father tells be to put the book back. Just as I catch up to her, she turns around and points a finger in my face, "Look, you will go play with the other pups and you will leave me alone. Don't talk to me. In fact, pretend you don't know me at all." I nod.

We reach the pack house I go out back to the playground and no one is there. I head

inside to the game room and no one is there either. I find that the window seat in the back corner is empty. I walk over and sit down and open my book.

I must have fell asleep cause I woke up when I heard the voices. The Luna talking to her son Vance and my sister Sidney in the hallway just outside the game room.

"What is she doing here? I thought all of the kids were at Caitey's birthday party?" Luna was asking them.

My sister started to laugh, "She wasn't invited. No way Caitey would invite her."

"Cause your sister is a pain in the ass. Thinks she's smarter than everyone else. Always asking questions and reading those damn books. She should read a book on how to make friends." Vance chimed in.

I stay still and pretend I'm still sleeping. I don't know why they hate me so much. I've never done anything to them or any of the other kids. I don't think I'm smarter. I just want to learn so I ask questions. Maybe I do ask to many.

"She doesn't have any friends?" Sidney and Vance shook their heads and snickered. Luna walked into the game room, walks up to me and shakes me awake. "Why are you hear and not at Caitey's party like the other pups?"