- - day four - -

i asked her why she never ate dinner.

she shook her head and told me it was a long story.

i told her i had time.

"i'm only doing this because i like you, michael," she said as she brushed hair from her face.

and i pushed the butterflies in the pit of my stomach aside and listened to her beautiful voice.

she told me that she thought she was fat and that she was ugly. and hurting herself and starving herself were the only ways to help. because she deserved it. and she only felt complete when she mutilated herself.

tears welled up in her eyes as she spoke and her fingers shook for the first time since the day we first met.

i took her hand from across the table and rubbed her fingers with my thumb.

"aerin, no," i whispered, my voice cracking. "you are the most beautiful girl i have ever seen."

she shook her head. "you're only saying that because you feel bad for me."

i kissed her cold knuckles. "no, i mean it. i think you're perfect."

she stayed silent, so i continued.

"you don't need to do any of those things. you need to love every inch of your skin. and you need to feed yourself."

"but i'm so big, michael," she cried.

"no, no you aren't. please, aerin. please eat. for me?"

she sniffled back a few tears. she looked at me as she took a spoon from my tray and scooped up a bite, only three little pieces. "i'm only doing this for you," she said softly.

and she took a bite. and she chewed for a very long time. and she gagged a little bit. but, she swallowed those three tiny pieces of corn. and that was enough for me.