Death Proof

In Riverdale, everyone wears a mask, not just the Black Hood. But every so often, the mask slips and our true selves are laid bare, for all the world to see.

So we scramble to put it back on, like a kid in a cheap Halloween costume, but it's too late.

People have already seen what's underneath.... And it's terrifying.

My alarm went off at 6:30 in the morning, and my iPhone was blinking from a message I recieved after I went to bed. It was from Jughead.

Jughead: Give me some time. Knowing you, you would never do that. I'm still a little hurt, though. XOXO.

I smiled at the message he sent me.

I replied with: Okay, take your time. I'm still so very sorry that it happened. And I hope it never happens again.

Penelope, Cheryl's mother, came by after Cheryl stayed the night here to talk to Mrs. Lodge about what happened to Cheryl.

"Penelope, thank you for coming," Mrs. Lodge said. "We called as soon as Cheryl told us."

"And I appreciate that," Penelope said. "I just wish you'd stopped her from talking to Sheriff Keller. Heaven knows what Cheryl did or said to the St. Clair boy to provoke him."

Cheryl sighed. "I didn't do anything to provoke him." She whispered.

Even though we were in a different room than they were, we could still hear their conversation.

"According to Veronica and Gracie, nothing," Mrs. Lodge said.

"Hermione. Hiram," Penelope said. "I want this handled discreetly."

"Well, I'm confident that the St. Clairs feel the same way," Mr. Lodge said.

"Then it's settled," Penelope said. "I'll talk to that idiot Keller and tell him we won't be pressing charges. After all, nothing really happened to Cheryl."

Cheryl immediately walked over to the bed, combing her hair out of her face with her fingers.

"Cheryl, I'm.... so sorry," Veronica said.

Cheryl began getting her things ready.

"Don't be silly," she said. "I'm used to it. And besides, you heard what Mommy said. Nothing really happened to me."

"Cheryl, I'm so sorry what Nick did to you," I said. "It's terrible when these things happen to good people."

"How do you know?" Veronica asked. "It sounds as like what happened to Cheryl happened to you."

"Because it did," I said. "When I was just six years old. That's why I'm really good friends with Sheriff Keller. He found me a few days later. And yes, that's why I respect Sheriff Keller a lot, and why I'm very close friends with Kevin."

"Did you get any triggers after what happened last night with Nick?" Veronica asked.

"I almost did, but I was able to fight it off," I said.

"Good, I'm glad you fought it off," Veronica said. She turned to Cheryl. "But Nick roofied you, he tried--"

"I'm fine, Veronica," Cheryl plastered on a fake smile. "Everything's fine."

"If everything's fine, then why did we just call Sheriff Keller and make a statement?" Veronica asked.

"A momentary lapse in sanity," Cheryl said. "I mean, can you even imagine? Me, facing off against Nick St. Clair in a courtroom battle royale? I'd be a laughingstock." She walked to the door.