v.

Everyone was roused awake in the early hours of the morning by the sound of Emily screaming. They had started the day early since there was no use in going back to sleep. Early or not, the day was going to go the same. Judas felt a strange sense of anxiety as he settled beside Gallant at the table for dinner. Everyone prepared their utensils and laid their napkins on their laps. Judas raised an eyebrow as he watched the Grays begin to ladle out bowls of stew. Horrible memories resurfaced, but he knew it couldn't be human meat this time. No one had died. He peered over to see pieces of what appeared to be snake meat in the stew. 

"I have a rule against eating things with no legs or too many legs," Coco commented.

"Oh, right, but you're fine eating something with two legs," Andre stated.

"For the last time, we didn't eat your boyfriend," Gallant said, earning himself the middle finger form Andre.

"Eat it or don't. No one's gonna force it down you," Ms. Mead said.

"Adversity makes strange bedfellows," Dinah said, "and worse dinner companions. It's food, and we're starving. We should be grateful for the fruits of the earth."

Evie offered a smile as she cut into the conversation. "Well, steamed snake soup is actually quite delicious. It was the centerpiece of a dinner that I attended at the Royal Court in Kuala Lumpur with Gina Lolabrigida." She broke into faint laughter as her grandson buried his face in his hands.

Judas leaned to whisper to Gallant, trying to raise his spirits. "I don't think any of those were real words."

Emily met Ms. Venable's gaze. "So, who's in your office?" she asked.

Venable stiffened at that. "I beg your pardon?" she said.

"The alarms went off before. Someone came inside," Emily pressed.

"Who else is here?" Timothy added.

Judas leaned forward in his seat, trying to gauge Ms. Venable's reaction. She tried her best to remain calm as she spoke, "All questions will be answered in due course." Her voice became stern and she hit her cane against the floor. "Eat."

Everyone quickly turned to their bowls, reaching for spoons when suddenly a cry of horror escaped Dinah. It was then that everyone registered the whole, definitely alive, snakes slinking out of their bowls. In an instant, half the table was on their feet, staring in shock at the snakes that writhed across the table. E.mily was screaming. Judas grabbed hold of Gallant's arm, recoiling as one darted up at him, tongue flickering. "What the fuck?" Judas whispered. 

They ended dinner early since there was no way anyone was going to touch the rest of the stew. Judas resigned himself to his room. He needed to think. He hadn't seen anything come back to life since... Michael. But Michael couldn't be back. Not here, not now. Not after Judas had left and promised to never see Michael Langdon ever again.

Ms. Venable gathered them in the sitting room one morning. Judas sat beside Gallant, leaning into the other man's side. They were starting to be more open about random touching, something Judas knew that Ms. Venable had noticed, but, so far, she had no proof that they had done anything else.

Ms. Venable seemed on edge, which was strange to see. She always seemed so calm and composed, but now she flinched at the sound of footsteps coming toward the sitting room.