Maybe Tonight

Maybe Tonight

Flynn crashed into a black ornate lamp-post, before clinging onto it for dear life, trying to stop the string from dragging him to his doom. The others slowed to a stop behind him, their faces reverential as they beheld Buckingham Palace in all its pale glory, even Clara who'd cycled past it countless times in her heady youth. Ezekiel let out a low whistle as he imagined himself ransacking its riches, the notion making the hairs stand up on the back of his neck.

"Wouldn't I like to get my grubby paws on that," Ezekiel said, his eyes widening with lust.

"No wonder you're single, Zeke," Clara said, sitting down on an obliging bench, "unless the object of your affection is inside a glass case, you're just not interested."

"If they're behind bars, I'm even more interested," Ezekiel said, smoothing his black hair back.

"Somebody find me a cage, then," Clara said sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

"Not even then," Ezekiel said, winking at her.

Eve pulled a face. "Is what we need in there?" she then asked Flynn, gesturing to Buckingham Palace.

Flynn nodded, unable to form full sentences.

Eve stared at him. "So you want us to rob the Queen now?" she said incredulously.

"We already did," Ezekiel said, flipping open his phone. "Tower, anyone?"

"I'm not going back in that wheelchair," Jacob said, holding his hands up.

"Put me down for it instead," Clara said, clutching her side again.

"Won't be necessary," Ezekiel said, holding up his phone, "there's a charity event tonight."

"So?" Eve said.

"So I should be able to forge us some sweet invites," Ezekiel grinned. "No wheelchair required."

"Breaking and entering, Ezekiel, tut-tut," Clara said, shaking her head.

"It's more fraud," Jacob pointed out.

"So what's next, then? The Vatican? The White House?" Eve exclaimed, looking like she was about to explode.

"Don't worry, they're on my bucket list," Ezekiel said, stowing his phone away.

"Right, if we're breaking and entering, we're going to do it in style," Eve snapped, grabbing Clara's wrist and hauling her to her feet, ignoring Clara's cry of protest.

"Whoa, take it easy, Baird," Jacob said, exchanging a glance with Ezekiel, "the girl's not exactly in tip-top condition."

Eve stared at him for a long moment, before letting Clara go. "I'm - I'm sorry," Eve apologized, startling them all, "it's - it's - it's just this is all feeling like a constant kick in the head, and she's dying, and I can't stop it" - Eve startled them all again by suddenly burying her face in her hands, the others hesitating before tentatively patting her shoulder and arm, whatever was closest.

"It's going to be alright," Clara said quietly, belying the lie.

"What about me!?" Flynn complained, still clinging to the lamp-post. "This piece of string is dragging me to the deepest depths of hell!"

"I wish it would," Clara muttered, "then we wouldn't have to listen to your whinging."

"You love me really," Flynn said mournfully.

"Yes we do," Ezekiel said, his gaze firmly fixed on the emerald.

~*~