I Was A King Under Your Control

Clara came down the sweeping staircase, her book tucked under her arm, every beat of her heart long and laboured, like a clock slowing down. With some confusion, she glanced up at the large glowing globe hovering above her head. "What's with the super sphere?" she asked Jenkins, making him look up from the solid silver samovar he was polishing with his shirt sleeve. "Did Flynn switch it back on?"

"Oh, hello there... Clara," Jenkins said with some difficulty, sidestepping her question. "Would you care for some... tea?"

Clara looked at him, instantly sensing trouble, making her switch tack. "Where are Flynn and the others?" she asked, her brow furrowing at the sight of the empty Annex.

"They went to... London," Jenkins said, deliberating over the tea-cups, avoiding her eyes.

"Why?" she said, limping over to him.

"Something about a... stone," Jenkins said, backing away from her like she had rabies.

"What, like the Sword in the Stone?"

"You would know, wouldn't you!?" Jenkins snapped, losing all self control. "Or was that all a bit before your time?"

"Is insanity catching or is it just you and Flynn?" Clara said, slamming her book down on the desk, ignoring its yowl of protest. "Of course it was bloody before my time!"

Before Jenkins could frame an answer, Killer Queen came booming back on.

"What is it with you and that song?" Clara yelled, clamping her hands over her ears.

"Consider it your theme tune!" Jenkins yelled back.

"I thought it was yours!?"

"No, mine is Knight Rider!" Jenkins shouted sarcastically, striking a noble pose.

Despite everything, Clara started laughing, clutching her side as she did so.

Jenkins just stared at her like he was seeing her for the first time, the song suddenly falling silent. "You really don't know me, do you?" he said slowly, eyes suspicious as he studied her.

"And you really don't like me, do you?" Clara said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"No, I don't."

"Then why did you help me?"

Jenkins shrugged his shoulders.

"Look, I don't know you, and you don't know me," Clara then said, stepping forwards, "but we both know the Serpent Brotherhood can't keep that Crown."

"What are you suggesting?" Jenkins said, his brow furrowing, his eyes still suspicious.

"Get me to London and I'll get that Crown back," Clara said quietly.

~*~

Cut cover, take that test
Hold courage to your chest
Don't want to wait for you
Don't want to have to lose
All that I compromised...

Clara staggered out of the toilet cubicle, smoothing down the front of her blouse as she did so, trying to look incongrous as she limped over to a spare sink, avoiding the curious gaze of a little old lady drying her wrinkled hands. Jenkins had moaned and groaned, making a million excuses before opening up a portal that would get her to London, dourly declaring he must be out of his mind. She'd stepped through the doorway, only to find herself in a toilet cubicle of all places. But she'd kept her cool, keeping incognito, flushing the toilet with slight trepidation, half expecting it to whirl her away to another world.