And She Was An Adventure

Clara sprinted up the steps, just in time to see Flynn throw himself in front of Jenkins's station-wagon, halting it in its tracks. "Hartley, over here!" he yelled, waving his arm at her.

"Hold your horses, I'm coming," she snapped, striding forwards.

"I'm certainly dressed for the occasion," he declared, shaking a leg at her, showing off his riding boots to their best advantage.

"What's going on, Carsen?" Jacob asked, coming out of the car, the others following him.

"Where you leaving without me?" Clara demanded, hurt.

"Don't blame me," Jacob flared up, "blame Carsen's butler."

"You were leaving me behind?" Clara said, rounding on Jenkins.

"You are homeless and unemployed," Jenkins said tersely, "and the others aren't. Do the math."

"It doesn't give you the right to leave me behind," Clara snapped. "We're all in this together."

"Which precisely proves my point," Flynn interjected, forcing them into a rugby huddle. "Open your envelopes."

"Why?" Cassandra questioned. "We know what's in them."

"You think you do," Flynn said cryptically. "But you don't, not really."

"We do," Ezekiel said sarcastically. "It's a one way ticket back to the real world."

"Guess again, guvnor," Flynn taunted. "Now open your envelopes before I turn you all into postage stamps."

"It would certainly save on the airfare," Jenkins muttered, folding his arms across his chest.

Flynn just waggled his eyebrows, watching as they tore open their respective envelopes. But instead of airline tickets, it was a letter from the Library, black slanted writing appearing like the magic it was. "Just as I suspected," he said, clapping his hands together, "we have a lot of work to do."

~*~

"You can't do this, Flynn," Jenkins protested, "think of my tea-cups!"

"What about your tea-cups?" Flynn said, setting his satchel down on his desk, the others hanging back, faces filled with nervous excitement.

"My tea-cups require tranquillity," Jenkins said, wringing his hands. "What part of that don't you understand?"

"This is a perfect base for operations," Flynn said, gesturing around the Annex. "What part of that don't you understand?"

"You'll have access to the archives, but not the artefacts," Jenkins said, switching tact.

"Knowledge is power," Flynn said, exchanging a glance with Clara. "And you'll be here to teach them how to research, as well as supervise their training. Your tea-cups are in safe hands, Jenkins."

"What are you talking about?" Jenkins demanded. "I'm not your Yoda!"

"No, you're their Yoda," Flynn said, beckoning the others to come forwards.

"We don't train Librarians," Jenkins argued, stepping forwards as they did, almost forming a stand-off.

"And isn't that stupid," Flynn said, pulling a ridiculous face. "Look at Clara here," he then said, taking her by the elbow and bringing her even further forwards, "a highly intelligent but totally unsuspecting individual who was taken and dropped into a world of magic against her will. And do you know what happened? She died before she even learned where the toilet was."