Ch. 1 Panic Attack

Tony, Rhodey, and I are at a local bar. Joan Rivers comes on the TV and she starts talking about the new Iron Patriot suit that Tony and I built for Rhodes.

"Same suit, but painted red, white, and blue. Look at That. And they also renamed him Iron Patriot. You know, just in case the paint was too subtle."

"It tested well with focus groups, alright?" Rhodes informs us Tony and I laugh at him.

"I am Iron Patriot..." I mock.

"Listen, War Machine was a little too aggressive, alright? This sends a better message."

"So what's really goin' on? With Mandarin. Seriously, can we talk about this guy?" Tony asks. He and I move closer to Rhodes.

"It's classified information, guys." We both give him puppy dog eyes, begging him tot elk us what he knows. "Okay, there have been nine bombings."

"Nine?" I question, my eyes widen.

"The public only knows about three. Here's the thing, nobody can ID a device. There's no bomb casings."

"You know I can help, just ask. I got a ton of new tech, I got a prehensile, I got a...I got a new bomb disposal. Catches explosions mid-air." Tony offers and I nod my head.

"When's the last time you two got a good night's sleep?"

"Einstein slept three hours a year. Look what he did?" I tell him.

"People are concerned about you, Tony, Charlie. I'm concerned about you two."

"You're gonna come at us like that?" Tony asks.

"No. No, look, I'm not trying to be a dic..." then a little girl and boy come up to our table. "...tator."

"Do you guys mind signing my drawing?" The girl asks.

"If Richard doesn't mind." Tony says. I turn to Rhodes, catching on to Tony.

"You alright with this, Dick?"

"Fine with me." Rhodey huffs out.

Tony and I look at the drawing of him in his iron man suit and me in my black leotard that the little girl has drawn. Then Tony looks to the little boy standing next to him. "I loved you in A Christmas Story, by the way."

"Listen, the Pentagon is scared. After what happened in New York... aliens, come on. They need to look strong. Stopping the Mandarin is priority, but it's not..." he starts to say as we're signing the drawing. But I cut him off.

"It's superhero business, I get it."

"No, it's not, quite frankly. It's American business."

"That's what she said we...got it." Suddenly as Tony is signing the drawing, he starts to look ill. I place my hand on his forehead.

"Are you okay?" I ask him.

"I broke the crayon."

"Mr. Stark, are you okay?" The little girl asks.

"Take it easy, Tony." I tell him, then the little boy starts to whisper in his ear.

"How did you get out of the worm hole? How did you get out of the wormhole?" And as soon as those word leave the boys lips, I realize he's having an anxiety attack. Tony then gets up from the table and starts to walk off.

"Wait a minute! Tony!" Rhodes yells and then looks to me. I immediately get up and follow him.

"Tony!" I say, catching up with him.

"Sorry. Have to check on the suit... make sure... okay." He mutters out. Then he steps into the Iron Man suit he parked out front outside the bar. "Check the heart. Check the... check the... is it the brain?"