Chapter 8

My first encounter is a slime!

...Not very original. But well. It is a starting area here.

It's actually kinda cool to see. The slime is partially transparent. With its color the little one is cute!

I hear the slide of a sword out of it's sheath and react before thinking.

"Hey! No!"

A pause. I look over, keeping the slime in my line of sight. Alec is ready for a fight, only stopped with a very pointed look.

He doesn't need to seem so exasperated!

"You're here for unusual monsters. I'll take care of this."

Alec just raises a brow. Ugh. Rude.

I can totally handle this.

I focus back on the slime and pull my own short sword.

It's awkward in my hands. I've never used one before. But it's a basic enough concept.

However, with this opponent, I'm at a slight disadvantage. Slimes take less damage from physical attacks.

If I could use the metal it'd be more effective, since it's considered magic.

But I can't while someone else is here.

So. Strategy.

Ease onto the balls of my feet and keep knees a bit bent, for better reaction time.

Sword down and back, approach slow and sideways.

Ah! It jumped!

Yes!

I hop to one side and swing my sword up. It hits! Between my strength and the slime's own momentum, that's really good damage!

The slime had more speed, so it continues on a bit behind me and lands.

I raise my sword and twist it, then bring it down like a club. The blow is enough to 'disperse' the slime.

I did it! Yes!

...oof. Okay. Kinda tired now.

Fighting takes a lot out of you when you have basic stamina.

"Good job."

I startle slightly and look up. Alec has sheathed his sword and is smiling a bit.

After a moment I grin.

"Thanks!"

I take a moment to wipe my sword off, then I sheathe it. I kneel to grab the item that was dropped.

It's a slime ball. It feels like a damp marble. They're used for cheaper potions. Otherwise they're not that valuable because of how common they are.

Hm. Into the basket with the herbs it goes.

I'm not going to need it for myself.

If I need them in the future, I'll hunt them.

Right. Back to gathering.

And be prepared for more slimes!