Chapter Ten

Kitty looked at Caleb when he took his seat and picked up his plate, having returned from his 'conversation'. "What was all that yelling about?"

"Miss Kitty, there's been folks watching over you since the first night I slept in the bunkhouse and you know it. Mrs. Three-Trees'll know soon enough where her husband is and I have permission to stay here and spell you so you can get some sleep. I don't want you to ride up there tonight. Not when you're so tired." Caleb spooned up a bite of his beans and looked at her. He was surprised to see tears in her eyes.

"Is there no end to the ways you spoil me, Cowboy?" she asked. "Thank you." She stood up as he finished his last bit of dinner and took his plate. "Why don't you stretch out here on the other bed and I'll wake you when I need to?" Caleb wanted to argue but Kitty shook her pretty head. "I know you're tired, too. Don't deny it."

"No, Ma'am," he grinned at her, moving toward the narrow cot. "I wouldn't dream of lyin' to you." She left the room and Caleb threw one arm over his eyes and fell asleep. When he awoke, she was sound asleep in her chair beside Danny Three-Trees' bed. The lamp was turned low but a pale, pre-dawn light was already beginning to illuminate the room.

Caleb got up and checked on Kitty's patient. He was asleep rather than unconscious, his breathing speaking of light sleep. Gently, Caleb gathered his boss up in his arms and tucked her into the cot he'd vacated. She rolled over and curled up, smiling in her sleep. Caleb smiled back but resisted the urge to kiss her. Instead, he turned back to the chair beside Danny Three-Trees' bed.

"You look at her like doe-eyed maiden at fine brave," Danny said quietly, startling Caleb.

"I didn't mean to wake you," Caleb apologized. "Can I get you anything?" There was an ewer of water and a cup beside Danny's bed, so Caleb poured him some water and offered it. Danny drank some and refused the rest. Caleb replaced the cup and settled himself into the chair. "You were watching us last night, down by the corral," he guessed. 

Danny smiled faintly. "Bear find me after cows wake up," he explained. "Cows too loud, no one hears."

"For a man armed with only a bow, you sure gave that bear some pause for thought," Caleb observed in order to encourage him.

"Lost my knife in bear," agreed Danny. "Good knife; too bad it gone."

Caleb chuckled at the sentiment. "I hear you, Partner," he agreed. "Lost a good rifle once when the horse I was riding got shot out from under me and rolled over on it . . . I miss that horse."

Danny chuckled and groaned. "Hurts to laugh."

"It's gonna hurt to do a lot of things for a while," Caleb pointed out. "That bear took a couple of pretty good chunks of Danny Three-Trees before he done departed this mortal plane."

"God rest his soul," grinned Danny with a well-manufactured air of solemnity. "Glad you had guns on, Stranger. We have some, no use."

"Name's Waite," Caleb introduced himself. "Caleb Waite, lately up from Texas."

"Flame Haired Woman say you hunted by Army, Cowboy."

"Not the army, exactly, more like Texas Rangers," corrected Caleb with good humor. "They seem to think I did something I didn't."

"Why you leave Texas? Ghost Who Rides and his sons speak much of it still."

Caleb could see that the young man was tired but fighting sleep. "Ran out of work where I was and couldn't find anything else. Miss Kitty's the first person to offer me a job since I rode outta' Texas."

"She no pay much," pointed out Danny. Caleb wondered how he knew that.

"She's an honest woman fallen on hard times, same as the rest. At this point, I'm happy to be eating three meals a day and sleeping under a roof. Before I came, I was worried I'd have to run a trap line and build me a deadfall cabin to make it through the winter this year." Caleb eyed his companion and didn't add his fears that such a thing might yet be. "You oughta' get some rest, Danny."