Beautifully Asleep

8:30 am and I am leaning against the wall closest to her apartment. I can see her front door if only I stretch my head around the corner. I looked down at my watch and waited for her to exit. 8:45 on the dot. Her door has an automatic lock system for when it clicks closed. Successfully, I manage to stop it from shutting all the way by wedging my diary into it. Once she was around the other corner and out of sight, I casually walked to her door and walked inside.

I tug at the back of my left shoe with my other to attempt to take it off as the door closed behind me. No, shoes on are best. I don't want to scare her when she comes back home and sees unknown shoes in the entrance way. Shoes past this point are considered very rude in most countries, but today I will pretend I am a rude foreigner. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see her slipper shelf. A small pair of very soft pink slippers rested in one of the shelves. I wonder if they are hers, have they graced her beautiful feet. I bend down and place them softly into the bottom of the shoulder bag I have brought with me.

As I am about to stand, I see a small picture frame on top of the self. It is like it is proudly laughing in my face as I look at his lips on her cheek and that beautiful smile shining so brightly because of it. Her hair is a lighter brown in this picture and looks as if she is a bit younger than she does now. Only because the picture seems to be mocking me, I want to destroy it, but I know I must resist the evidence. A pair of slippers are easily forgotten in the bedroom, but a broken picture would insinuate the presence of someone that doesn't belong.

I forced myself to journey away from the image and go deeper into the apartment. It has a beautiful floral scent to it. Straight ahead was the kitchen. I can imagine her in here. I can see her in nothing but a t-shirt by the stove, humming a song as she flipped her eggs. Hair messy and semi wet still from her morning shower. That would be a beautiful sight for me to behold. I slid my gloved finger down the length of the marble counter, and I wasn't surprised to not find any dirt attached. Just like the hospital she works in; her house is also very clean. She must exhaust herself given the fact she works and cares for a house. She must be so tired.

Once I was done wandering through the kitchen, I stepped over into the living area. It was simple with only a couch, table and television. I grabbed the remote and flipped the TV on. The local drama channel was already on. She seems to like dramas. Getting off work late only gives you two choices anyway, dramas or the news. Good to see she is the type to pick the lighter of the two entertainments. The ugly of the world isn't something she should worry about. Her preciousness must be guarded against such horrible things. I grazed my hand across the small couch I have caught her falling asleep on for the past week.

I looked over the washed room only briefly. One overly used toothbrush and one that hasn't been used very often. I wonder if it hurt her to swap them and know that the blue one would possibly set untouched. I had to save the other one, it must have been sad, just like its' user. Into the bag with the slippers it went. I walked down the hall and glanced at all the pictured that lined the way. That beautiful smile seemed to be every which way I turned my head.

I hesitated for only a moment at opening the bedroom door. I wonder if she hesitates as well. Swinging it open, showed the loneliness it hid beyond the wood. A large bed that seems like it has been empty for months. Its' solitude seemed to scream at me, and my heart sank. I felt the soft flowery comforter between my fingers, and I swear it felt as cold as ice. I wish I could help her bring it back to life. I left the lonely bed and opened the closet. Placed right behind the dresser she sits at to brush her hair. My image was the only thing in the mirror staring back at me. I looked as if I was made to stand in this room.

Just as I was imaging quiet Sunday cuddles between us two, a loud locking sound came from the front room. My heart sped up as I listened silently. "Thanks for reminding me that we had night shift today Jiwoo." Her soft soothing voice sounded from just beyond the door. Damn, her schedule was switched. My eyes trace the room quickly for any camouflage I could find as the talking grew closer.

"I guess I am just going to rest some more. I have been falling asleep on the couch for the last week, so my bed sounds beautiful right now." She grabbed a make-up wipe and started to remove her make up. After a few more short words to her friend, she hung up.

It was a week too early, but the minute she opened her closet door...it was too late. The white chemically stained cloth did just as it should and in no time, she was beautifully asleep.