Chapter 8: The Second Test

I woke up to the sharp pain of being slapped. My vision cleared and I saw that the person that slapped me was Azalea.

She looked at me, impatience clear on her face. "Finally, we've been waiting for 15 minutes!" She climbed out of the van and looked back at me, expecting.

"You're the one that knocked me out." I groaned, my head throbbing in pain. I looked around, surprised when I saw that we weren't at the prison type place. "What are we doing here?"

The straggly expanse of grass spread before us, dashed with leaning trees and crooked paths. Azalea stood before me, hands on hips, lips drawn in a snarl, "Testing you."

The young woman behind me stabbed a hand into my back, sending me stumbling forward and into the park. She smirked with suppressed glee as Azalea pointed into a thicket of shrubbery.

"They're over there." The assassin spoke softly.

"Who?" I asked, a little confused. I walked slowly to the bushes, but before I got there I turned around. "What is my test? Why won't you just tell me?"

"Zoey," It was only one word, but the command was clear.

Again, the girl jerked me, grabbing and twisting my arm with a formerly hidden knife pressed to the small of my back. "Come with me, won't you?" She churtled happily, dragging me away from the van.

"W-What are you doing? Just tell me, please!" I try to stand still, but Zoey just kicks me in the back of the knees, forcing my legs to buckle, and pulls me along.

The ferns part before us, Zoey slamming me into a crouch in a mostly obscured clearing. She towers above my twisted form as the patter of feet intrudes to the fact Azalea had followed us through.

"Get up," The woman snapped, lashing a boot into my side.

I got up slowly, looking around to take in the new environment as I do. "Ok fine, you have to tell me now anyways." I gripped my daggers and shuffled to the side, keeping my distance from Zoey.

I paused when I caught sight of the horrific scene before me.

Josh, gagged, bound, and a little bloody crouched a short distance away, a blade to his throat by the hands of Zane, who looked like he had been hit by a truck, eyes wild and hair sticking up in tuffs. My friend was shaking, fear wrapped around his confined form, and he was staring up at me with a pleading gaze.

I took a step towards Azalea, my eyes blazing. "Let him go! Why did you do this?" I growled, before looking at Josh. "This is what you get for working with her. I warned you." I turned back to Azalea ready to attack her to free Josh.

Her piercing look gave me pause. "You wanted to know what your test is. This is it."

I stopped, a confused look on my face. "What...?" My thoughts strayed to Emma, and I shook my head to stay focused on the task at hand. "What do you mean, this is my test? From the looks of it, it is already done."

The assassin tilted her head, cold, threatening energy billowing off of her in waves. "He doesn't look dead to me."

My eyes widened, and my hands tightened into fists, as I remembered what happened with Emma. I took a step towards Josh, who looked up at me, trying his best to plead while gagged. I looked back at Azalea who did nothing but stare with those harsh eyes.

I reached down and pulled out the gag the best I could with thoughts of Emma flashing in my mind. I shut my eyes as hard as possible, trying to erase the memory, and pulled out one dagger.

"Damien, please..." Josh paused before continuing, "Think about Emma, your friend, what would... what would she think of this?"

My eyes flew open in rage. "You don't get to talk to me about her! At least this time I can see who it is. And plus, you are a traitor, so this is what-what you deserve..." My voice faltered before finishing that sentence.

"You don't believe that. You don't really believe that." He muttered.

Without replying I lowered the dagger to his throat, closing my eyes so I didn't see his face.

The seconds trickled by; no one and nothing made a sound.

Defeated, I eased the dagger away and opened my eyes, turning towards Azalea.

"I can't do it, he's my friend. I won't do it."

Her gaze hardened as she glared at me, motioning for Zoey to bring the blindfold forward. I didn't resist as Zoey slid the opaque black cloth across my face. Someone tugged my arm and I walked with them towards the van. The whole way I was wondering what punishment I would have to face once we got back.