Chapter Three

Confucius: The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential. These are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.

It was August 12th, three days before camp

It was August 12th, three days before camp. I was getting some personal affairs in order, like paying bills and stuff like that. I probably should have gotten everything sorted sooner, but I would have forgotten if I did do it. Right now, I was just getting home from buying groceries, like long-life food, for the next couple of weeks.

What? You say something? Oh, I'm a little eager? I just like to be prepared, sue me!

Anyway, I got to the doorstep, and I was struggling to get my keys out of my bag. I was leaning against the wall, all of my grocery bags balanced on one leg, while trying to fish my keys out of my satchel bag. I could feel one of the bags start to slip, and I started to panic. Soon enough, it did fall but it didn't hit the ground.

Instead, the fallen bag was caught by Alan. I softly smiled at him as I finally got my keys out of my bag.

"Do you need some help?" Alan asked, trying to be a gentleman.

"Yes, please. If you weren't here, then everything in that bag," I pointed to the bag he was currently holding, "would be broken mush."

He chuckled softly as I handed him two more bags before we made our way inside my house. We settled the bags down on my dining table, and I thanked him.

"I do have one question though. Were you following me or something else?" I asked Alan as I began to put the groceries away.

"Something else. I live about three houses down, was on my way home and saw you struggling so I decided to help. Even though you were standing on their side." Alan responded, handing me some stuff for me to put away in the cupboard.

"On their side? You mean Julius' side? Petey's side? Blue's side? Rev's side? The non-white side?" I snapped back, turning around as soon as he said 'their side'.

"I...I didn't mean it like that. You know that!" Alan tried to defend himself.

"But you said it that way. Alan, let me tell you something. Those boys are my brothers. Their families are my families. When I came here, as soon as I stepped foot on American soil, my family was shot and killed. Why? Because they were a different colour than the cops, even the white members of my family. My father and I were the last ones left out of my family. He got me to this house, he made sure everything was a-ok here before my dad left. I'm all alone here, Alan. But those boys...those boys make my life worth living. You wanna disrespect them? Disrespect them by their character, their personality, their actions, but not their skin colour. Otherwise, you can get the fuck out of my house. The door is right there!" I pointed towards the door at the end.

He looked down at the ground before he headed towards the door. But before he left, he turned towards me before saying something.

"You got a good family, then. I wish mine was like that." And with that said, he was gone.

The next time I would see him again would be the day we leave for camp.

A/N: I'm so sorry that this is shit, everybody. I really wanted to get this out for you all. But holy shit! 1.92K reads? Thank you so much to everyone that has read this story so far. This means so much to me. I will admit, when I first made this story, I was scared that nobody was going to read it, that nobody was going to like it. But to see the amount of reads this has gotten? I...I am at a loss for words. Thank you everybody. I will start work on the next chapter soon, I just have a lot of assessment for school right now, but chapter 4 will be out soon. Happy reading! 😊