pt.2

Max's POV

I couldn't stop thinking about El. It was like she had trapped herself in my mind and didn't feel like leaving. Three days after I'd seen her in the park, the AV club were having a meet up at the new mall. El was going to be there. I decided to go, because I wanted to get to know her. It had been a month since Mike and El had called it quits on their relationship. As far as I knew, they were on good terms (but I knew for a fact that Mike wanted her back).

El's POV

I was getting ready to go to the mall. I was nervous but also excited to see Max. They said to be there at 12pm. It was now 11:30am, and I had tried on several different outfits already. Usually I would put on the first thing I saw in my closet, but today was different. I was indecisive and insecure all of a sudden. I guess I just wanted to look nice for Max. All I could think about was Max. Will Max like this on me? Will she think I'm boring and weird? Will she make fun of me for not understanding something?
In the end I decided to go with my hair up in a half ponytail with a yellow scrunchie, my indigo, button-up, long-sleeve t-shirt that had different colour designs on it, and my denim overalls to go over the top of that.
By the time I was happy enough with my outfit, it was 11:45am and Hopper was saying in his bored, tired voice, "El, are we ever going to actually leave?"
"Sorry Hop, just one second!" I called out to him as I put on my light blue socks.
I took one last look in the mirror and then ran out to him with a smile painted across my mouth. We were running late, so Hopper did my shoe laces on my converse. I was extremely slow at doing that.

Max's POV

I skated out of the house at 11:55am because I lived very close to Starcourt Mall. When I got there, I saw the boys getting off their bikes outside the big front doors.
I skated towards them, "Hey shitbirds." I said like a jerk.
Lucas, my boyfriend, waved at me while grinning.
"You actually turned up this time." Left the mouth of the curly-haired boy named Dustin.
I messed up his hair and replied, "Yeah, I had nothing to do today."
Will, my secret favourite out of the bunch, put out his hand and pointed a little to the right of my head, "Here comes Hopper's truck." He told us, as if we should take cover or something.
I turned around to see El and Hopper in the police truck, parking in the closest parking space to us. When I saw her face, my heart started pounding at a slightly faster rate. Hopper turned off the ignition, and both of them opened their doors and got out. My immediate reaction to having caught sight of her fully was a soft, weak smile. As she walked up to us, I examined her outfit. It was nothing short of adorable.

El's POV

I could see her smiling at me as I walked up to them. I smiled back. We reached them and Hopper asked them what time he should pick me up (4pm). I looked down at my shoes, fiddling with my fingers. Hopper turned to me, I looked up, "See you then El, stay safe."
I nodded and he hugged me, kissed me on my forehead (slightly messing up my hair, which I wasn't happy about because hugging and kissing me in front of everyone was embarrassing enough) then walked back to the truck and drove out of the carpark.
Mike said to us, looking at me, "Okay c'mon then."
We went through the doors and Will was walking next to me. Max and Lucas were holding hands in front of us. After a minute or so, Max turned around and looked at me then turned to say to Lucas, "Can you make it without me for a few minutes?"
As confused as he was, he nodded and Max went beside me (Will caught the vibe and went to talk to Lucas).
I looked at her, she had a scratch on her cheek from the accident the other day.
I pointed my finger at it, "Does it hurt?"
She shook her head, "Nah, I've had much worse."
I didn't know how to reply so I just nodded and looked down.

Max's POV

I couldn't keep my eyes off her. I felt awkward, so I decided to make conversation. I pointed at the Scoops Ahoy ice cream parlour that we were about to go into, "Ever had ice cream?" I asked.
She looked at me, "Yes, Hopper gets it for me sometimes, my favourite flavour is Chocolate."
I smiled, "So is mine!" I responded pleased. She was smiling at me as we entered Scoops Ahoy.

El's POV

I looked away from her and up at the counter. I recognised the much older teenage boy with superb hair. He was grumpily serving two girls. It was Steve, he was Dustin's best friend. Mike called it sad that Steve (18 years old) was best friends with a 14 year old. I, on the other hand, didn't see what was wrong with it. Anyways, he served us our ice creams and we walked out of the ice cream parlour. The day was really fun. Me and Max got on very well. We even separated from the boys and went on a shopping spree. Her bright smile was infectious. When I had to go home, I was upset to leave her. But she gave me her number and that evening we chatted for hours on our telephones. She taught me about boys, girl things, and music. I couldn't wait to see her next.