Chapter 8

C H A P T E R  8

I opened my eyes for what felt like the thirtieth time. I looked out the small window and see it's morning, my alarm clock proved it as it's 7:33am. I had had the worst night's sleep ever. The mattress was hard and uncomfortable and I hadn't packed to suffer through conditions like that. I got up at went to the "washroom" which I was thankful actually had a working shower and toilet. I met one of my neighbors last night, who told me that when she first moved in, her shower and stove both didn't work. The apartment wouldn't even pay to get it fixed. After getting ready, while still in my pajamas I sat on my "bed" and pondered over what I was going to do. I obviously couldn't just spend my day in this apartment, without any friends I was going to go crazy. I looked around my apartment and wrote down a list of things that needed work. I was going to fix up this apartment. I got dressed in a navy, white and pink striped Tommy Hilfiger polo, a white bubble necklace, cuffed jeans, and a pair of nude sandals. Even out shopping I needed to look casual chic. This was the lowest point in my life, the only thing that could put me in a better mood would be for me to appear as if my life was fabulous.

 I went from store to store ordering a new mattress, a television, a sofa , some mint green paint and white paint and other smaller necessities for my apartment. Then I did a little grocery shopping and brought the things back to my apartment. I changed into a black t-shirt and sweatpants and got started. I began by painting which took my a solid two hours to do which I was very proud of myself for. Who would've guessed that Gwen Winters would be able to paint an entire apartment in two hours? Of course, there wasn't much too paint considering the size of the apartment was comparable to the size of a cardboard box... Once I impatiently waited for the paint the dry, and then gave up because it was taking too long, I started arranging the little amount of furniture I was able to fit inside the apartment. Once everything was in place I looked around. My apartment looked like a Tiffany & Co. box. Fabulous. I heard a knock on the door. The mattress can't be here already I thought. The sales associate told me to expect it within the week but it couldn't be so soon. I opened the door and there was Jenny.

 "Gwen Summers! I came by before but you were out."

 "Yea, I just did a little shopping," Giving a little nod towards the inside of my house.

 Jenny's eyes widened, "Whoa. It looks incredible; no one's ever redone their apartment like that."

 "Thanks!" I proudly responded.

 "So, the reason for my visit is I need you to pay a little down payment on the apartment. Just to guarantee that you'll be sticking here and aren't just treating it like a hotel."

 "Oh, um, yes, sure." I grabbed my checkbook and wrote her a fairly large sum for such a small apartment.

  Her smile brightened. "Thank you, I'll see you later." I closed the door and sat down on my new white leather sofa.

 After lounging around for a few hours I heard I loud bing! coming from my iPhone. I checked it and found another email from Emily.

 Gwen,

 Things still aren't looking good at the office and Gardner really wants you to keep your distance. I was able to pull a few other strings and found you a job as a nanny. It pays so you'll still be able to afford living off on your own and it'll hopefully keep your mind off of things back here.

 Good luck,

Emily

 It took me a lot of self restraint to not respond and complain about how ugly the apartment was but I tried to be greatly and I emailed her and thanked her for the job.

I've always been pretty well off. I'm very successful so I've never had trouble with my money, I could retire right now if I wanted to, but this whole sitting alone with no jobs or friends was more boring than watching grass grow. If I get a new job now, when I got back to the city I could just tell everyone that I found a better, more rewarding job and that's the reason for my absence.

I grabbed my Mac book and got to work. I clicked on the link Emily had sent me and found the advertisement asking if anyone would be interested in becoming a nanny for two 8 year old kids. I don't like kids, but Emily was trying so hard to help me out which was pretty unusual for her, so I decided to email them. Plus, with kids, it would probably be very entertaining. I got a response almost immediately.

 Ms. Summers,

 I read your email expressing interest in becoming a nanny for my two kids. My husband and I would like to first set up a meeting with you. We'd like to get to know you, let you know what we'd require you to do and for you to meet the kids. We'd like for you to start the position as soon as possible, so how does meeting tomorrow at 2pm sound?

 Thank you,

Valerie Park

 Tomorrow? That's crazy. Did she not have any other applicants? Maybe her family's got a criminal record so no one wants to go near them. As crazy as it sounds, I ran a small little search on them. I don't know why but I was a little surprised that it came clean. There was a small article about a local charity event and it mentioned that the Park family had baked some cakes to help raise money. I guess they must be pretty desperate if they're willing to hire a nanny that quickly. I found her address on the advertisement and looked it up. It was only about a 10 minute walk from my apartment, convenient. I responded letting her know that I was available and I was ecstatic to meet the kids (sarcasm).

  I guess that meant I had gotten the job.