Choices

Charles, tired of running. . . tired of the challenges, stood still for his final confrontation and said,

"Enough! What happened in the past was between you and my great grandfather. Why are you coming after me now?"

Elda appeared once again with two hanging ropes. One was wrapped around Amy's neck and the other around Amanda's neck.

"Fate." She said. "The answer you are looking for is fate. As fate deemed your great grandfather guilty of causing me so much pain and suffering. It was fate that on the anniversary of that incident, it would be you next in line to suffer. Our fates are sealed before we are born. Nothing is done by our own free will. Pain, anguish and suffering are the only things we experience from this world. Life is our prison. Death is our liberation. Your great grandfather sealed his fate. Your friends sealed their fates and you shall seal yours! Tonight, one of your friends shall die and the other shall live. But I will not choose whose life to take. You will, knowing that your choice will cause the death of someone you cared about. "

With his heart beating with fear, Charles took a deep breath and said,

"We make our own fate. We make our own choices. We can either choose to live as slaves or die as free men. I won't play your game. If someone deserved to die, then it should be me."

Infuriated by his response, Elda removed the ropes around Amy and Amanda's necks and wrapped it around Charles' neck. With tears in their eyes, the girls begged Charles not to do so. Charles smiled, thanked them for an amazing friendship, closed his eyes and accepted his fate.

But before the final curtain called on Charles, a voice rose from the darkness.

"I am proud of you and proud of the man you have become."

Surprised by that sound, Elda was frozen by shock. It was Alester Edwington, Charles' great grandfather.

"Elda, you haven't aged a day since I last saw you. I know what I did was wrong. But there is no reason to take your revenge from these children. You had already taken it a long time ago when you took your own life and mine. Don't you think it's time you let go of the ties which connect you to this world and move on to the next? I will not let you harm my family. And if this means sacrificing my own soul in the process, then let it be."

Alester ran towards Elda and the moment they touched, a massive flash of light exploded and everything went dark.