We Are Real

I watched her make breakfast in the kitchen. I sat in our couch chair with a book in my hand. The unread page still "chapter three". Whenever she would glance my direction I'd pretend to flip the page before looking sideways at her once again. We have yet to catch the other's eye.

Last night was a dream. A fantasy. But it was real.

Does she not feel for me what I feel for her? Was it just a curious exploration? A one time thing?

I didn't dare bring up the questions in my head. If she wanted to pretend it never happened then I painstakingly will too.

For the first time in twenty minutes I read a page in my book.

"Stella, breakfast."

Her voice cracked a little like her mouth needed a second to catch up with her brain. I numbingly set the book down and walked over to our raised counter where two plates of omelets sat.

We ate silently for a few minutes, both trying desperately to ignore the elephant.

I gave up.

"Eden."

"Stella." my god that voice.

"Ignoring it won't change the fact it happened."

She looked at me. It was a soft expression. Could she..?

Inhale. Exhale. "If you want to forget last night then I'm ok with—"

She placed her hand on my thigh and gazed intently into my eyes. "I've waited over a year for that night. I've waited over a year for you."

My breath hitched in my throat as I looked from her hand on my leg to her blue eyes. I glanced down at her mouth and in seconds we were connected. Our lips moved in one motion and I could feel her hands running through my hair and down my back.

The pent up energy was overwhelming. We forgot to breathe. We forgot who we were. Just two souls in a prolonged desperation.

I could feel her heart beating against my chest. She picked me up off the stool as I wrapped my legs around her waist. For a moment our eyes locked before the kissing continued.

I could only think about how this was real. We were real.