Treasure Island Me Hardies!

We've been rudely, (I've been rudely) criticizing Disney on it's mistakes and blunders. But sometimes it's not all of Disney's fault. Sometimes the locals and the weather just have to get their turn to bitch-slap Disney in the face.

And that's what happened in Disney's Bahama resort, Treasure Island.

Located in Baker's Bay, this Disney "Ghost Town" in the Abacos used to be a major tourist attraction. Disney's large cruise ships would stop near the island and let people off for a day of fun. Sadly, Disney failed to do their research about the island before actually investing over 30 million big ones into the place. The problem for Disney was that their cruise ships were too tall/deep for the shallow water in Baker's bay. Every time Disney dredged the area to make it deeper, the tides decided to be a bitch and bring all they dredged out back in. It had to keep being re-dredged until Disney gave up on the whole damn thing. Another problem for Disney was the island wasn't inhabited so everyday the Bahama natives had to take a two hour ferry ride to the island. Most Bahama natives are very lazy, when it comes to work. Most work when they feel like it. Which isn't very often.

One of the best things about Disney's Treasure Island is that it's not part of the regular tours in the Bahamas, and the local ferries won't take you to it. The only way to get there is a boat of your own, and even that's difficult. The only identifiable trait of the island is a dock hanging out near one of the beaches, which is why no one really pays any attention to it. Cause they don't realize they're going past Creepy Abandoned Disney gold. The island is so secluded and beautiful now. No wonder why Disney wanted this island.

The first thing you'd see when you docked your little boat is, not only the small crappy dock, but the area where they held the sharks and dolphins for tourists to ooh and aah over. According to locals and other witness accounts, Disney released all the sharks into local waters when they closed the island.

The resort's main entrance is still there, though a lot of the wood and decorations had been removed. After Disney left, the hateful natives took or damaged nearly everything Disney had left. Some things were scattered about life tables, chairs, credit-card slip copiers, large power boxes, etc. Not only did the locals do a number to poor Disney but Hurricane Floyd really isn't a Mickey Mouse fan... As evident from how much weather damage that was left in his wake.

In one part of the island, there was a stage with seating that had trees growing all over it. It's nice that the island is reclaiming the land with it's plant-y leaves. One of the actually funny things that the natives decided to do was, behind the large now leaf-ridden stage, break every toilet they could find. And the ones that weren't broken, were stuffed with coconuts. How... Unique.

The bar had been ransacked of all alcohol, same with the kitchen, and the main building of the resort. The kitchen, instead of being ransacked for liquid poison (i.e. alcohol), was ransacked for tiles. Are the Bahamians trying to tell us that they have a huge tile-based Black market down there? Or...? As for the main building, which was obviously the biggest of all of them on the island, the safe had been opened and the floor destroyed. Some things managed to survive such as the crow's nest and the beautiful solid oak ceiling. Shows how much money went down the drain for Disney in this one.

Now let us talk about boats, there were many motor boats, paddle boats, and jet-skis still on Treasure Island. But they really cant be used. Either they're missing engines, paddles, or are filled to the brim with coconuts. Disney really made a mistake with keeping all those coconut trees on the property.

One of the really cool and interesting features I managed to find out about was a purposely sunk ship for scuba divers to explore.

As I was reading up on this, for I have never been to the Bahamas before, I was shocked to find out one of my sources had actually contributed to the destruction of this lovely abandoned resort. It kinda made me really sad. Why on Earth would you do that to Disney?!

Anyway, my sources were limited for this one since there isn't even a Wikipedia page about it which says a lot.

Since I don't have all the information I can to form my QUESTION, WHAT I THINK, WHAT I KNOW; I'm going to end this at here.

And this resort, is not guarded. So if you wanna check it out, you can. Just don't destroy anything and be careful will ya?

If you want more information about this resort or any of the other chapters I have done, let me know. Thanks for reading and have a magical day.