Chapter 3: A provincial life

Sendai is a province that people live a simple and laid-back life. Children are taught to speak English since Americans often go to Sendai to construct buildings so that Sendai will be more progressive and will focus more on a modern life.

Rikako and Riho have been pracitising how to speak English so that they will have certain knowledge about it and when foreigners come to the province there will be easier communication. In fact, the people living in Sendai are getting fluent in English which means there will be a better communication with the foreigners who come to see and improve the city. 

Life is so simple in Sendai. Children often go to school, fishermen usually catch fish to give food to the people, women serve as housewives. Indeed, it was a simple and challenging life in the province.

Rikako and Riho go to school everyday in order to learn whatever topic that has been discussed by their teachers. They've always wated to fulfill their dreams and to follow their desire that's why they are doing something in order to achieve it. Rikako wants to work abroad to cast away her roots of being just a simple person. Riho has not yet completely setted her goal and is in the process of cogitating on what would it be.

During their pastime, they usually read books, write stories and poems. How simple life is when living in the province. That's a provincial life.

When Rikako and Riho came home from schol, they studied for three hours then they can do anything they want after they finish studying. Rikako usually reads while Riho makes stories and poems. Rikako reads classic books then Riho writes stories and poems that have plenty of deep words, literary techniques, and idiomatic expressions. In the contrary, these were the usual pastimes of the people living in the provinces.

When homeworks that need research are given, they often use books as sources and they seldom use the internet. In the cities, students now use the internet as a guide for their studies. People living in the province prefer to use books since it is direct in giving an answer and what the author says about a certain topic is mostly true since it is written in a book. In the internet, anyone can edit an answer and it may be incorrect. They trust books more than the websites in the internet. They think that books have more efficient information than the internet. Anyway, that is just their perception about the situation.

Living in the province is such a demur that some of your needs are not supplied well. No internet and cellphone in some parts of the province. People have to write letters to their loved ones who are living in the city. To some, people, it's fine without these since they value the things they have. It's not sufficient for other people living in the province having only a little amount of needs. In fact, that is a con for them.

Mrs. Matsubara is staying at home thinking about her daughter who is a geisha in Gion, Kyoto. There are questions that are stuck in her mind about her eldest daughter, Yoshiko. Some of these questions include: "How is she?", "How is her life as a geisha?", "Does she obey her okasan in the okiya she is living?", "Is she having fun plucking strings, dancing with fans, and entertaining men in order to attract a danna that will be her patron?". These questions are all fixed in her mind since she hasn't seen her daughter in a long time. Yoshiko's dream was to become a maiko, an apparentice geisha and to become a professional geisha when she is ready. Yoshiko wanted to become a geisha because she wanted to be a part of a highlight in her country and had wished to grasp the full meaning of Japan being a respectful and hospitable country.

"Geishas are not courtesans nor wives." Yoshiko proudly says, usually to herself. "Geisha can only be half a wife and we are the wives of nightfall."

Yoshiko's roots were from a poor family who lived near the sea and living a provincial life. She wanted to become a geisha not because her will led her to it or she had no choice. She chose to become a geisha in order to show the different highlights of Japan to other people, especially the tourists and to show how her country is very hospitable and respectful. 

Most people say that living a provincial life is simple, secluded, warm ambiance far from all the polluted loud life of the city, fresh air, and the community is tiny but friendship occurs in that process. They share, laugh, and help one another build a peaceful community. Hasn't anyone dreamt of this living environment?

Riho is enjoying her pastime in writing stories and poems. The day was peaceful for her so she decided to write a piece about the day. She synthesized and thought of the content of her work. When she was done, the result was a haiku made by herself, in her own words.

The peaceful day stays

Along with the breeze of air

Blowing my long hair

She was delighted that she came up with a god idea for her haiku and totally loved it. Riho will practise how to write poetry well so that she can now write an iambic pentameter sonnet. She will practise how to write good poetry in her own composed literary works.

In fact, the pastimes and hobbies of the people living in the province are simpler compared to the people living in the city and it's worth it since you learn something when you treasure the talents you have been showing and valuing not only to yourself, but also to the people around you.