chapter 6

And alas, her luck had not lasted after all. The dinner began quite smoothly with Caroline Bingley sticking to society gossip and Jane entertaining her by expressing her approval even though she had no idea what was happening. And the two men sharing their views about politics which quite indulged her and tempted her to participate in, but would require actively conversing with William Darcy, something she would gladly like to avoid at all costs.

However, things took a bad turn when everyone decided to indulge into a game of "Never Have I Ever" which according to her was quite childish but nonetheless decided to humor them.

It was suffice to say that by the end of the game Lizzie's glass was hardly even touched while the others were almost at the brink of being drunk out of their minds. What surprised her was that the ever so upright Mr. Darcy seemed to have had a wild teenage life as well.

"Oh dear, you are the old librarian after all. Elizabeth I only ever doubted for you to be such a bore but turns out you are even worse" Caroline Bingley slurred and laughed at her own insult.
Lizzie felt hurt but refused to let it show and carried on with a fake smile plastered to her lips.

"Well, I happen to find Ms. Elizabeth quite intriguing, especially her eyes...ever so mischievous." The words spoken in her defence surprised her but what shocked her was the person who spoke them for it was none other than William Darcy.

She felt herself becoming flustered and hence quickly excused herself and left for her room, requesting others to carry on with the game on her behalf.

She was a bit tipsy from the game, flustered from William's words and the clothes she was wearing  suddenly felt too hot for her to be in. Stripping off her dress and taking a few deep breaths, Lizzie tried to calm herself down but failed. Thoughts kept buzzing through her head.

Huffing a final breath she closed her eyes and laid back on the comforter, ready to sleep when there was a knock on the door.

Half asleep and assuming it to be her sister coming up to check on her, she answered with a come in refusing to open her eyes.