Chapter 1

Today is the first day of the conference I'm attending, and I'm looking forward to it. The conference is for elementary school teachers, and me only being a second-year teacher, know I have a lot to learn. Especially since I swapped grades this year, instead of teaching 5th-grade language arts, I will be teaching 4th-grade language arts. It won't be the biggest learning curve, but I have a lot of little things to tweak and get accustomed to before the school year starts in 2 weeks.

The conference is being held at a convention center in Atlanta, GA. Thankfully the hotel all the teachers are staying at is connected to the conference center. I live 3 hours away from here, so it's nice to stay in a hotel room that I didn't have to pay for. I am especially grateful because I didn't have to share a room with anyone.

The conference started with a well-known speaker in the education community and the talk was very good. I had 2 and a half pages full of notes by the end of it. Throughout the day I made sure to take a lot of notes and before I knew it, I had at least 12 pages of notes.

"Hey, Chiara, do you want to go get dinner at an Italian place across the street?" My friend and colleague, Sabrina, asked when the final session of the day was over.

"Yeah sure, I'd love to! Italian is one of my favorites," I replied, grabbing my bag and following her.

...

So how has your summer been?" Sabrina asked after the waitress took our drink orders. Sabrina and I met last year when we were both first-year teachers and we became fast friends. I now consider her one of my best friends.

"It's been pretty boring and uneventful in all honesty. I spent some time with my family and visiting my friends from college and also friends I met when I was doing missionary work. I hung out with my cat a lot and binge-watched some shows," I laughed. "Overall it was nice and relaxing!"

"I'm glad you were able to have a relaxing summer, you deserve it, "she said, reaching over to squeeze my hand, "You work so hard!"

"Thank you," I smiled at her.

But tell me," I started, "How was your summer? I saw all those pictures of you in Italy, it all looked so amazing!"

Sabrina laughed, "It was honestly so good! I had the most amazing time. I went to the Basilicas of Saint Francis and Saint Clare, the Vatican, and so many other places. I was able to be in the presence of so many relics. It as incredible!"

"Oh wow, I hope to see those places one day," I said longingly. "I am so glad you had a good time!"

"But here's what I actually want to know, Did you meet any cute guys?" I wiggled my eyebrows at her.

"Um duh! They were freaking everywhere!" She exclaimed. "I didn't know which way to turn, there were so many of them! But alas," she said sadly, "none of them swept me off my feet."

I laughed, ogling men is one of Sabrina's favorite pastimes. And I'm sure they love appreciating her in return. She's absolutely stunning with her long jet black hair, a modelesque figure, and a pair of pale blue eyes that look like she is staring into your soul.

"Hello, would are you ladies ready to order?" The waitress asked, setting down our drinks.

After we ordered, Sabrina looked over at me mischievously, "So what about you?" Any summer flings?" She joked because she knew that I have never and would never have a "fling."

"Ha-ha oh yes definitely," I responded sarcastically, "you know me, I'm all about those summer flings."

"One of these days you are going to find the perfect guy and I just can't wait till that day," Sabrina said.