Protected

It was almost dark and the people of Berk were starting to settle down for the night. It was pretty quiet throughout the village. But a small alleyway was filled with children's voices.

"You will never be like your father. You're just a weakling." Snotlout sneers. Seven year-old Hiccup looks away from the other kids, trying to hide his tears.

"Look at him! He's crying!" Ruffnut laughs.

"Who's going to help you? Your mommy? Oh wait, you don't have one." Tuffnut jeers. Suddenly, a rock hits the young boy in the nose, causing him to scream. "OW! I'm hurt! I am very much hurt!"

"Leave Hiccup alone!" Hiccup looks over at his savior and only friend, Krystal. The six, almost seven, year-old girl glares at the older children in front of her. Her dark hair accented her flaring eyes.

"And what are you going to do about it?" Snotlout demands. Krystal responds by putting her little fist into the older boy's groin. "OWIE! Let's get out of here!" The twins and Snotlout stumble away as quickly as they could. Krystal goes over to her friend and gets him onto his feet.

"You okay?" She asks, her deep blue eyes reflecting with worry.

"Yeah, thanks." Hiccup nods, wiping his tears. Krystal smiles, holding out a blue crumbled cupcake.

"I was trying to find you to give you this. Guess it got a bit squished." Hiccup smiles, taking the cupcake.

"That's okay. I still like it." Krystal smiles, but her smile fades when a dark shadow passes over them. The two children hear the horns sound. Dragon raid.

"Come on! We've got to get inside!" Hiccup grabs Krystal's hand and the duo start racing toward the nearest house. Krystal shrieks as a Monstrous Nightmare lands in front of them. The two children split in fear, running different directions. Hiccup ran toward a different house, calling out to Krystal, but the girl couldn't get past the dragon to safety. She ran toward the forest. Krystal looks behind her, seeing the dragon chasing her.

"GO AWAY!" She shouts, but the dragon continues after her. Krystal runs into a clearing, panting heavily. She yelps as the dragon emerges from the forest. The dragon slowly approaches Krystal, sensing that she couldn't run farther. In a last attempt, Krystal bares her teeth and raises her arms up, arching her fingers to look like claws.

"ARGH!" She growls. The dragon huffs, then spots something behind the girl. The Monstrous Nightmare suddenly seemed to cower in fear, before running back into the forest. Krystal slowly turns around, seeing two amber eyes staring down at her. As she watched, the color spilled around the eyes, forming a head, then a body.

The dragon stares curiously at the girl in front of him, his scales turning yellow. Krystal whimpers slightly, but was unable to move. Hearing the girl's noise and smelling fear, the dragon gently lowers his head in front of Krystal, purring. He had watched the girl for some time, ever since she had first ventured into the forest at a young age.

Krystal suddenly felt a sense of ease stretch over her. Slowly, she reaches her hand out and places on the dragon's snout. The dragon purrs louder, causing Krystal to giggle. She looks at the dragon in more detail. He was about the size of a Razorwhip, slightly bigger, standing on four legs. His wings curled in on his sides. His tail was covered in spines like a Deadly Nadder. His eyes were amber, the pupils wide in trust and curiosity. As Krystal watched, the dragon's scales turn from yellow to a calming blue.

"I'll call you Shadow. I'm Krystal." Krystal says. The dragon purrs in response. Looking around, Krystal realizes that she was lost. She had never been to this part of the woods before. "Uh oh." Shadow purrs in question, scales turning purple.

"I don't know how to get home." She says. Shadow seems to smile, lowering to the ground. The dragon gently nudges the girl onto his back. Frills that Krystal hadn't even seen before curl up around the small girl's body, keeping her close. Krystal smiles as a sense of comfort and safety floods through her.

"Don't worry, little gem. I'll keep you safe." Shadow thinks as the duo fly off in the darkness.