Recovered

Everything was dark. Krystal could tell that she was lying down, face up. Her right leg felt weird, like something was wrapped around it. Opening her eyes, Krystal looks around. She lay in a bed, the room dim with light. Krystal looks down at her leg, finding it wrapped in bandages. She remembers what had happened before she was knocked out. The hunters. The boy. Shadow. Krystal examines the room further. The room was obviously on a second floor. Krystal could see down to the ground floor. A ladder was leaned against the platform, allowing whoever lived here to climb down to the first floor. A faint light glowed on the first floor, followed by the crackling of a fire.

Gingerly, Krystal stands, putting more weight on her uninjured leg. Limping forward, she peeks over the side. The girl falls back in surprise as a waiting dragon jumps up from the ground below.

"Toothless! Bud, leave her alone!" The Night Fury stops licking Krystal long enough for his rider to climb up the ladder. Krystal blushes slightly when she sees it was the boy from her memories. She was a little frustrated that she didn't remember his name.

"Sorry about that. I don't know what's gotten into him." The boy says, helping Krystal up. "How's your leg?"

"It's fine. Thank you." Krystal replies. "I'm sorry, but I didn't catch your name."

"Hiccup. Hiccup Haddock." Krystal gasps. That's right! She remembers now! Flashes of memories from when she and Hiccup were young crossed her vision. "Are you okay?"

"Yes." Krystal nods. "I'm Krystal. Krystal Thylander."

~~~

Hiccup gasps. Krystal? Could it really be her? Now that Hiccup thought about it, she really did look like Krystal. The same dark hair and blue eyes.

"Oh my gods! Krystal!" Hiccup sweeps the girl off her feet in happiness.

"OUCH! Careful!" Hiccup quickly sets Krystal down.

"Sorry."

"It's fine." Krystal smiles despite the pain in her leg.

"I need to know this: what happened to you after that night?" Hiccup demands.

"I'll explain everything. But first, where's Shadow?"

~~~

Krystal explains what had happened the last 11 years as Hiccup takes her to the stables.

"I can't believe that you were all by yourself for 11 years. 11 years! That's insane!" Hiccup states.

"I wasn't all alone. I had Shadow." Krystal says. As they enter the stables, Hiccup leads Krystal to the pen in the back.

"He's right here." Hiccup says. Krystal looks into the pen, finding it empty. The boy flips around, staring at the pen.

"He was right here! I checked on him this morning! How?!" Hiccup exclaims. He jumps as Shadow appears, having camouflaged when they entered.

"That's a good boy." Krystal smiles. "Why did you have his pen locked?" The girl asks as she enters the pen.

"When we got back, he kept trying to follow me to find you. The others couldn't get near him, so I was the only one who could get him to calm down. Whenever one of the gang got near him, he'd growl and camouflage. He wouldn't let anyone near him except me. Not even the other dragons."

"You were just worried about me, weren't you?" Krystal asks Shadow. The dragon responds by turning a dark blue and nuzzling the girl. "He's usually really friendly. He just has an overprotective side." Krystal explains.

"Oh. That makes sense." Hiccup says. Shadow purrs in question, gently poking Krystal's leg.

"I'm fine. Hurts a bit." The dragon purrs in response, nuzzling Krystal.

"Come on. I want to show you around the Edge." Hiccup interrupts.

"The Edge? Aren't we at Berk?" Hiccup laughs slightly.

"No. Berk's a flight's away from here. We're in the middle of the archipelago. Come on, I'll show you."