Episode #4 The Night Before

It’s already past eleven. My eyes are still wide as an owl’s. I’m nervous for tomorrow. My middle school was a disaster.  The girls there are so mean I was on the edge of killing myself.  I need to stay invisible as possible. This country is really hot. The streets are noisy. There are a lot of people on the streets. They all look suspicious to me especially in the dark. A lot of kids are also on the street. Yeah right. Kids. I’m worried about the kids in this school I’m going to.

I may be in another country but I’m still on the same planet.  High school will always be high school.

Whatever comes ahead, I hope to survive it alive.

** give a little time to me, will burn this out , we’ll play hide and seek, to turn this around . . .   **

Ed Sheeran, he is the best thing that has ever happened on this planet. Wait! That’s ring! I quickly grabbed my phone beside me. It’s my mother.

“Mom?!”  Thank god she called.

“Good evening honey! I knew you’d be awake.”

“Morning Mom! I miss you a lot.”

“I miss you to honey!”

“I was just calling to check you up for tomorrow. Do you have everything you need?”

“Yeah, everything except you.”

Silence.

“Honey we talked about this right?”. She sounded lonely.

“Yeah. I know but I still don’t get it. Why can’t we be together? Why here!”

“Anak, sana naiintindihan mo.”

“Mom I’m really trying to understand you but I can’t. Plus, I’m also . . . . nervous for tomorrow.”

“Hahaha. Honey, back there high school is such a sweet place.” Looks like her memories are flashing back.

“Yeah right. Maybe in your time plus you got Aunt Jean with you.”

“Come on. It’s not like we knew each other before high school. She’s the first friend I had on my first day and we never parted ever since.”

“’Coz Aunt Jean is the sweetest person in the planet.”

“Yeah she is but not just because of that honey. God gave her to me.”

“Yup. She’s quite an angel.”

“No honey, I asked for a sign and there she came.”

“A sign?”  Hold on. I didn’t know that part of the story.

“Well, like you I was also a bit nervous for my first day and before I went to sleep I asked for a sign that whoever that’s going to be the late comer is my best friend for life.”

“But that’s weird. ”

“It’s not weird sweetheart. It’s mahiwaga.”

“Ma mahiwaga?”

“Magical.”

If she said that to calm me down about tomorrow, it’s not working. Maybe I’ll just give her points for the effort. “Mom, it’s getting really late.”

“Yeah, yeah. I almost forgot. I miss you so bad honey. Say to Tita Nene for me.”

“I miss you more. I love you. Drive safe.”

The call ended. Lying in my bed, more awake than ever. I don’t I can sleep tonight. Plus, what my mom said for asking a sign is really bugging me. I don’t know if I should do it. Maybe it can help calm down my nerves. But what sign should I ask? First person to be late? That is so lame. Of course there would always be late comers.  Well, let’s take the task to the next level.  Maybe I’ll ask for something harder. Something not that common and obvious.

First person to go to the bathroom.

First person to fall asleep.

First person borrow a pen in the class.

Nah. Those are to easy.

First person to fly.

That’s impossible.

First person to talk to I to talk to me.

Hhmm. At some point in that day somebody will talk to me. Well, depend on what it’s about.  Yeah!!! That’s it!

Someone to who will tell me HIS/HER crush. Impossible

. . . .tell me how much is HIS/HER allowance. Now that’s creepy.

. . . . tell me I’m a dork. Common.

. . . . . tell me HIS/HER secret. Hhmm. Can be.

A lot of thinking tired my mind. I didn’t even realize I already drifted to sleep when my alarm cried. It felt like I closed my eyes for a bit. Huh. First day. 

__________________________________________________________

forgive me for a lame chapter. . .