Seven: When the Angel Arrived

For I am the Angel Raphael, one of seven, who stand before the Lord.
Tobit 12:15

And the angel said to them: "Peace be to you. Fear not.
Tobit 12:17

For when I was with you, I was there by the will of God. Bless him, and sing to him.
Tobit 12:18

INT. Elle's room

Elle sleeping on the bed. Flowers scattered on top of her blanket. Balloons and confetti décor in the room. Gifts or presents on the carpeted floor. A banner sign saying "Happy 27th birthday!" Hanging by the door.

She woke up not feeling any pain, although she felt like she was carrying something heavy.

She got up and saw all the surprise and gasped. She was teary-eyed. They remembered her birthday. She should be thankful.

She was, even though everyone was gone the moment she woke up. She always wakes up late. As she stepped barefoot on the carpet of her bedroom, she almost stumbled over the presents. She opened them one by one and read the cards from whom each one came from. Her cousin, Claire, got her a book on positivity, something she did not have. Her sister got her a gift check. Her brother and his new girlfriend bought her a shirt. Her best friend made a scrapbook of their memories. The flowers were from her mom.

In the kitchen, sitting on the counter was a birthday cake and it seems like her friends baked it for her as she saw mixing bowls and wire whisks on the sink with the very same color of icing on it.

There was also a note which said:

"Happy birthday, Elle. We love you, dear. Here's your birthday cake. We baked it for you with sweetness and love. We hope you have a wonderful day. So sorry we couldn't prepare a party for you. It has been very busy at the flower shop with Valentine's Day approaching. I guess I'll be spending the night there. Always remember that we love you no matter what."

Elle retrieved a lighter from the first drawer and lighted the candles. She filmed herself as she blew them, after whispering, "Happy birthday, Self" and then faced the phone camera and said, "Thanks Mom and thanks, everyone." She meant it really. She left the phone unlocked.

Then, she took Cal out for a walk. Scott caught up with them, suddenly appearing out of nowhere.

"So..." He began.

Elle closed her eyes. "I accept, Scott. Everything that happened to me. It already happened. I cannot change it. It is what has been given to me."

Scott smiled as normal as any human could.

Elle smiled, too.

"Arf!"

Cal ran off to the grass in a spacious lawn, chasing butterflies.

"Before I forget, Happy Birthday, Elle."

Scott handed her a hair clip with jewels on it.

"Thanks."

"So. What do you want to do today?"

"I don't really know. I guess by the end of the day, I just want to pray at St. Michael's."

"I know, I'll take you to the sea. We can splash around with Cal. I actually brought my car. In fact, it's parked right there."

"That would be great!"

They crossed the street to where the car was double-parked. It was just an old ordinary gray box-type four-wheeler with four doors, a trunk, and a hood.