Early Autumn - Part 2

In the hour of the rabbit, the sky was still dark. But there came a stir from Hyosaku's sleeping confines.

Tomomi also awoke from her light slumber resting her back against the timber wall. Her legs creaked and screamed when she unfolded them. She liked to pretend it was meditation, though she clearly lightly dozed off on the job. Perhaps the wander's solitary lifestyle on the road had taken over, walking when one felt like a spring in their step or resting when their legs complained.

She could hear more restlessness in the room. She supposed it was Hyosaku helping her wealthy man get dressed.

Through the thin screen she could hear their muffled dialogue.

"Don't leave me now will you? You haven't come to be by my side for long, Enosuke." Hyosaku feigned a sad tone.

"Well I'm still here with you now, aren't I, pretty darling?" Tomomi was sure of the touching and kissing that went on like octopus suction cups. She dared not turn to look, but she could imagine the sensualness that was happening on the other side. Despite knowing that it was all an elaborate act as part of the game as Hyosaku liked to call it.

Tomo slowly slide her back up the wall as she heard their footsteps approaching the door. She picked up her sword and bowed as the two stepped out into the corridor. Rina had also suddenly appeared and the two of them followed Hyosaku and her client to the gates of the district. There one of his retainers awaited with his fine horse, and rode off as Hyosaku tearfully bade farewell.

The sun was lazily rising. Hyosaku let out a yawn.

"Are you tired?"

Hyosaku chuckled. "Even after all these years, my body doesn't like early mornings."

"Time to catch some rest when you return to your quarters. Madam." Rina said quietly.

When they did return to the house, Hyosaku turned left and up the stairs whilst Rina and Tomomi made her way to the servants quarters.

A loud snorer in the room made it hard to sleep. So as Tomomi laid on futon, she counted her nearly empty coin purse. Sure the gods had been watching over her. Maybe if she worked here over the rest of the autumn and winter, she'd have somewhere to stay, out of the blizzard cold and have enough earnt to continue her travels. Hyosaku's mocking words about saying yes to opportunities echoed in her mind. Perhaps she was to be more grateful.

-

"Miss Ogawa, Madam Hyosaku requests your presence in her room."

"Oh." Tomomi got up from the group of gossiping ladies wiping down cooking utensils and headed for Hyosaku's domain.

"Miss Ogawa is here." An attendant announced.

"Come in."

Tomomi slipped in as the door opened.

"If I was concerned about an armed individual being in my room, I wouldn't be in this profession...." Mami's stern voice stopped Tomo in the midst of her pulling her sword from her belt.

"Oh I'm sorry."

Tomomi hastily adjusted her sword and sat down.

Hyosaku pointed her fan at Tomomi's sword. "Another thing. Act with poise. Adjust your sword with smooth actions and maintain your cool."

"Yes Madam."

Tomomi nodded her head.

"It just came to my mind. You... need a new name working here."

Tomomi's brow furrowed.

"Oh come everyone look at this naive girl sitting in front of me. Look darling. It's for your own good and protection."