Chapter 2: Some Things Never Change

It's five o'clock in the morning.

Slightly misty air, the sky filled with pastel-colored streaks from the early rising sun, and the sidewalks aren't as packed as they usually are in a city like Washington D.C. With every step my feet take upon the cement, the closer I get to finishing my daily five-mile run around the city. The frosty air surrounding me chills my burning muscles, allowing me to jog with ease.

Yesterday was a strange day, I must admit. That man I met, Derek, he asked for my number... to which I graciously declined. All he needs to know is my name, nothing more. He is still quite a stranger to me, as am I to him, therefore I don't get why he thought it was appropriate to ask for my number let alone ask me on a date. Yes, a date. If I wouldn't give him my number what made him think I would give him the personal time to go on a date with him. Maybe it was a mistake acquainting myself with him. 

Amongst my jog, I decided to stop at a park near the gym. Considerably quiet and peaceful, I take a seat on a bench by the sand-surrounded play structure in the middle of the grassy lot. I simply sit there, taking in the comfortable silence as I glance around the park realizing I haven't been to one in such a long time. Quite frankly, I don't think I've ever been to one. Considering so, I stare at the swing set standing still in front of me. Something within me causes me to get up and trudge through the sand to the seat dangling from a chain. Slowly lowering down onto the seat of the swing, I begin to lean to and fro as I glide gracefully through the air. Well, this is honestly relaxing, I should have gone to the park more often as a child. Then again with all the shit that went on at home- I could barely even leave the house... Shaking my head free of the sudden remembrance of my memories, I jump off the swing and continue on my merry way back home.

I push the door open to my apartment building, passing the elevator and beginning my ascent to the fourth floor. In a matter of minutes, I'm standing before the door to my ordinary apartment containing only the things I find important, nothing of the excess. There's no point in having decorations and unnecessary knick-knacks scattered around. 

Sticking my key in the lock, I twist open the door. Entering my two-roomed apartment with a moderately sized kitchen and living room, I toss my keys aside into a bowl residing atop an end table beside the entrance. The two rooms being the living room and my bedroom, there is also the kitchen and a good-sized bathroom only accessible through my bedroom. In the living room, there is a small HD TV against the wall, which I only use once a week, along with a single sofa chair in front of it. Beside the sofa chair is an end table with a stack of various books. 

In the kitchen is a refrigerator, a few cabinets, a large stainless steel sink neighboring a good amount of marble countertop. Rather than a dining table, there is a marble countertop island with three stools on one side. I would have one stool but it just looked oddly proportioned with the empty space on either side of it. In my bedroom, there is only a queen bed, a wardrobe for my clothes, and a large bookshelf for all the books I buy. I'm starting to conclude that I might need another seeing how it's almost filled. In the bathroom, well, obviously, there will be the toilet and shower, but there is a nearly pointless mirror hung above the sink. I don't use makeup and never do anything with my hair other than brushing it, putting it in a ponytail, and occasionally throwing some dye in it. 

Suddenly my phone's ring echoes throughout my apartment. Striding through the apartment to the phone sitting on the island counter I pick it up and pull it up to my ear.

"Marcel?" I start as I sit on one of the stools next to the counter.

"Yes, hello, Bo. I've got you a match this weekend against Lizzy Sherner if you're interested." He gets straight to the point, which I'm glad for.

"Yeah, of course. I'm up for it."

"Right, okay. Well, then I'll see you later for some training, six-thirty right?"

Pausing to check the clock on the wall I see that it's already six o'clock. Hmm. I must have spent an awful lot of time in that park.

"Alright. See you then."

And with that, I hang up the phone and place it back on its charging unit. I own no cell phone, only a landline, that of which only two people have the number of; Marcel to keep me updated with matches and other boxing-related information, and Penelope to suggest books I might like. However, I always let Penelope go to voicemail, which she doesn't mind very much.

Sliding off the stool I head towards my bedroom after tucking the stool back under the counter. Opening my wardrobe full of jeans, T-shirts, and workout clothes, I slide my duffel bag out from the bottom and toss it onto my mattress. Turning to my bed I close my wardrobe and unzip my bag to acquire my tape and gauze to begin wrapping my hands. Once finished I redo my ponytail seeing how it became loose after my morning jog. 

Snatching my bag off my bed I walk to the door, plucking my keys from the bowl and exiting my apartment. Quickly locking the door I hustle down the steps and out the door and, furthermore, rushing down the sidewalk to my gym. Practically jogging by the time I get to the bookstore, I glance inside to see Penelope wave at me, to which I don't return since how it would be too friendly. I simply give a quick smile. To my despair, my eyes were elsewhere for too long seeing how I ran straight into someone. Damn, I'm just having an off day today.

"I am so sorry." I automatically say as the person goes tumbling to the floor while I'm perfectly intact standing. This person just completely got trucked by me and I feel--

"Well, hello to you, too," the person groans.

Of course, it's him. Of course, it's Derek. I don't have time for this; I have to get to the gym.

"Look, I'm sorry but I have to get going."

Without another word or consideration, I return to my hasty journey to Marcel, concentrating all my attention on my surroundings to make sure I don't ram into any other person.

Barely making it through the door two minutes before six-thirty, Marcel catches sight of me and chuckles before advancing towards me.

"Well aren't you here at an unusual time."

"Yeah, I ran into... something."

"Well, you know what to do, go start your first rounds. No need for jump ropes seeing how you obviously already warmed yourself up."

I nod to him and advance deeper into the gym passing familiar faces who I still do not know. Tossing my duffel bag on a metal foldable chair aside the wall, I walk over to the mat in the center of the room and begin stretching out my already warm muscles. Normally, I start my training off with jump ropes so I don't stretch cold muscles but since I did a good amount of cardio exercise on the way here it's not exactly necessary. Anyway, taking a deep breath to somewhat calm my heart rate I pull my right arm over my chest with my left arm for ten seconds, then switch arms and do the same. Continuing with touching my toes I relax into my natural habitat of the comforting gym I love ever so dearly.

"Nice ass." A man's voice calls from behind me.

I immediately turn around to see an unwanted familiar face standing in the entrance to my once peaceful enclosure. Not saying a word I simply glare at this nosy bastard of a life intruder.