Chapter 4

Once the two teens get into town Bethany pulls out her mother's list and searches for the easy stuff first.

"My mom wants us to go to the bate shop and buy some bate for the fishing rods..." Bethany goes quite and knits her eyebrows together in confusion. Since when does her mother fish. Bethany thinks back to all the times they've come to the cottage and not one memory shows them ever fishing, hell her mother has never shown an interest in fishing ever. They both walk into the bate shop. The potent smell of dead fish and other unforgiving scents fill Bethany's senses causing her to tug up her dress and cover her nose. After a while of looking around the empty store, they eventually find what was on the list. They walk up to the counter and find no one there. Bastien calls out a few times before turning to the single silver bell that sits on the counter. He slams his hand onto the bell causing the already worn down counter to vibrate. A few seconds later a young boy with dirty blonde hair and a round pink face walks out. Bastien takes in his pudgy round body and clammy skin. He looks like a pig, Bastien thinks.

"What can I do you fo-" the boy stops in mid-sentence when he lays his eyes upon Bethany, a large smile dances across his pink sweaty face and the boy rushes from behind the counter. He grabs Bethany and gives her a bear hug. Bethany stands there obviously uncomfortable but still taking in his bear hug. After a few seconds, he releases her from the hug and smiles.

"Bethany holy shit I haven't seen you in forever!" Bethany merely gives a half-smile and grabs her arm.

"Yeah I-I guess it's been a while... h-how are you, Jerry?"

Bastien looks between the two of them and thinks about what history these two have. Bastien has just met Bethany but she doesn't seem like the type for physical contact so she must know this guy well. Could be her boyfriend, or her best friend?... While they quietly chatted Bastien finally clears his throat and drops the fish bate onto the counter. Jerry looks up at him and gives a friendly grin.

"And who is this?" Bethany turns to Bastien then back to Jerry.

"Ohh he's my uh-my stepbrother," She says the last part as if embarrassed. For some reason, this offends Bastien and he rudely rolls his eyes.

"Yeah well, can we hurry this up we've got other things to do," Bastien says impatiently as they wait for Jerry to cash them out, and once they're are finished Bastien grabs the bate and rushes Bethany out of the shop.

"Hold on!" Jerry speed walks towards the door before they have a chance to leave.

"Please tell me you guys are coming to the bonfire tomorrow night, it'll be fun plus your brother could meet new people." Bethany politely nods and says she'll think about it.