Not The Only One

"So, How was your short break?" I ask as I toss a crumpled piece of paper up in the air for the thousandth time.

"Great! Man, it was great." Jon's words rush out faster than I expected. "I love Cassie. So much. Ryan, I've never cared about someone this much in my entire life. She's just so perfect."

I groan and sit up. I know what happened over the weekend. "You got it on, didn't you?"

"Uh, what makes you say that?" He blushes a dark red.

"Jon, you're blushing."

"Er, uh, I am not!"

I roll my eyes and lean back in my chair and throw the paper ball in the air again.

Gross. I mean, I used to go out nightly and meet lots of girls then end up taking them home with me, but i'd never talk about it or hint at it around Jon. I don't want him to know about my sex life, and I don't want to know about his. I don't like imagining my best friend pounding Cassie or any girl. That's just not a thought I want in my mind.

I hear a knock on the side of my cubicle and sit up, "Ryan, I just forwarded an email to you about a lady who's looking to get financial plans done."

"Alright,. i'll handle it." I smile.

"Thanks. Works been extremely slow so when she asked for someone to help her I immediately thought of you."

"Thanks, sir."

Gabe smiles at me then looks at Jon and frowns, "Jon?"

"Uh yes, sir?" Jon quickly spins his chair around.

"Are you on Twitter?"

Jon looks back quickly then leans in front of the computer screen and smiles innocently, "No, sir!"

"I'm going to have to block that website off of your computer, that's the fourth time i've caught you on it. Get back to work."

"Yes, sir."

Gabe nods towards him then turns to walk away but looks back at me slightly and winks. I act like I don't see it.

"Twitter? Really?"

"I was talking to Cassie. But that's not important, did Gabe just wink at you?"

"Yeah, what the fuck?"

Jon scrunches his nose in disgust. I laugh and turn to read the email.

But I don't actually read the email. Why would Gabe wink at me? And why was he so rude to Jon but so friendly to me? Wasn't he yelling at me literally two days ago for being late? He's not gay, right? Doesn't he have a girlfriend? What the fuck is going on?

Why am I even worrying about it? I have Brendon. And Brendon has me. Brendon loves me. He told me he loves me.

Brendon loves me.

And that's all that matters. Not Jon having sex, or me not having a social life, or the fact that my boss may have a crush on me. The only thing that matters is that Brendon loves me.

I stop day dreaming and open the email:

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are hoping to get married this coming April and were wondering if there is a time when we could come in and discuss our financial plans for the future. We are free on Thursday at 4-6pm and Saturday at 11am-2pm. If none of those times work, please let me know so we can work something out.

Thank you!

-Sarah and Brendon

I push back from my desk and stand up. I press my palms to my forehead and close my eyes.